Facing redundancy ... what to do next

Hi all, I don’t post that often on the board but I have always found the forum useful during my years of studying for the CFA.

Just looking for some thoughts on what to do, I know ultimately it is my own decision.

I am UK based (Scotland), 33, own my own property and no kids, I have a number of qualifications that are on offer here and have passed both the level 1 and level 2 paper. I have spent a large proportion of my career in Wealth Management since graduating in 2008, where I got an entry level position at Barclays Private Bank in a backoffice function, and worked my way through to front office managing client assets and supporting Client Advisors as I manage the discretionary piece of the client book.

The team found out last week that the company would be restructuring and that a number of jobs would be leaving as they look to centralize the investment models, taking discretion away from us. I have in turn put in to accept the offer to leave the company should they accept it as I feel that the new role would not leave much scope for me to flex any of the learning that I have accumulated over the years.

I am viewing the opportunity as a positive, and that it is a new chapter and I would like to leave Wealth Management behind, but I have no idea what I would like to do OR what part of the industry could be interesting. I am quite aware of the impact of technology on the sector as more and more of the business becomes streamlined, even advisory parts are being supported with robo driven platforms.

Ideally I dont want to move back to London as rents are so expensive, but opportunities are more abundant. I would welcome any thoughts or views.

thank you kindly. Mike

*** CV extract

Education & Credentials

Further Education

Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, August 2005 – May 2008

BA Honours Financial Services (Obtained 2.1) - Special focus on impatient capitalism in a market based system

Anniesland College, Glasgow, September 2003 – May 2005

HNC/ HND Accounting and Finance

Professional Qualifications

Investment Operations Certificate ● Investment Management Certificate ● Passed CFA Level I & CFA Level II

Professional Licenses & Memberships

CF30: FCA, License MCD01105 – RDR compliant ● SPS: CFA UK, License 34765 ● Member of CFA UK

Charity work & Interests

TEDx Glasgow – Relationship Manager, June 2016 – Present

• Develop TEDx community in Scotland and organise running of annual event
  • Persuade new business of the merits of the TEDx platform and develop existing relationships

Young Enterprise Scotland – Business Advisor, October 2014 – June 2015

• Won best company in regional final with best concept and financial accounts
  • Sound board for ideas, product development and consulted on year-end company accounts and final presentation.

Professional Experience

Barclays Wealth, Glasgow - Portfolio Manager (Full-time), March 2013 – Present

• Manage £85 million across discretionary product, covering Emerging Markets as part of Investment Committee
    • Includes analysis of Manager research to understand position and unforeseen risks in asset allocation
    • Formulate implementation of House strategy in regional portfolio models within framework
  • Actively provide Bankers with commentary when required to discuss markets, performance, or strategy
    • Can include pitch work, and face-to-face meetings to engage clients on portfolio activity
  • Assist in composition of monthly and quarterly investment reports for our Charity clients
  • Capitalised on a lack of data to Banker population by creating an Excel/VBA tool providing portfolio analytics
  • Day-to-day management of the portfolios, via Charles River, Reuters 3000 Xtra and Morningstar platform
  • Passed CFA level II exam.

UBS, London - Client Advisor Assistant (Full-time), September 2010 – March 2013

• Handled and supported growth of two senior client books for the UK key client team

• Prepared research on current market events and investment proposals supporting senior Bankers

• Mediated client concerns effectively where issues developed to retain business

• Supported administrative, clerical duties, and executed live market trades across all asset classes and currencies

• Passed CFA level I exam and IMC level 4

Bloomberg, London & New York - Research Analyst/ European ABS (Full-time), June 2009 – September 2010

• Saved time by developing in-house streamlining program for Floating Rate Note pricing against LIBOR and EURIBOR
  • Solved client data queries regarding Fixed Income pricing and data
  • Analysed investor prospectus on new deals for data to model cash flows and support issuance in the primary market
  • Passed IOC level 3/ formerly IAD

Barclays Wealth, Glasgow - Corporate Actions/ Dividends (Full-time), June 2008 – June 2009

• Provided clients with a Corporate Actions service for all assets held in custody and liaised with Private Bankers
  • Role involved large amounts of data entry, created a simple excel based tool to improve productivity across team

Why don’t you take a couple months off to reconnect with all the people you know and see what they are doing? Maybe that will give you some insight into your next career step. Or maybe the break and change in perspective will change your outlook on what you were doing before. That’s what I would do, anyway.

thank you Ohai … i’m hoping the time out will offer some time to find this out.