How to find work as an independent equity research analyst?

Is there an effective way to hook up with small-cap companies who get little coverage to write an unbiased research report on their company as an independent equity analyst? In other words, they pay me to write a report on them to increase awareness of their company from the investment community. Long story short, not trying to make this into my main business but for side money. I am licensed and have equity analyst experience. Thanks in advance.

So, you want the companies you cover to pay you? And you want the investing public to assume you’re unbiased?

Is this an actual thing?

You could write on Seeking Alpha. If you are good and get chosen as exclusive content, the payout is “$35 upon publication plus $10 per 1,000 pageviews”.

http://seekingalpha.com/page/article-submission-guidelines

There is also a finance freelancing website, that I forget. I don’t know if they are research oriented though.

The investing public can think want they like. They would likely be more interested in factual findings then my investment thesis/rating if that makes sense. More interested in sparking an interest/idea for them to further investigate. But anyway, yes its a real thing, just don’t know how to connect.

Did you ever drive by a yard sale where what was on offer was a sad sight – faded dresses, 70’s suits with wide lapels and bell bottoms, decaying board games with frayed-edge boxes, and the like – and you think to yourself, “who would actually stop and buy that stuff?” Then I think to myself, you know, it doesn’t matter if the person running the yard sale has a single buyer. What matters is that he wanted something to do on a Saturday and he was going to dump all of that stuff in the garbage anyway unless someone happened to stop and give him a few pennies for it.

Anyhow, that’s my thought on yard sale economics.

There are independent one-man research companies. The problem is that they 1) don’t have a brand name 2) they cannot offer the brokerage value-chain, i.e. organizing road shows, sales trading and so on.

@Destroyer of Worlds

One mans/womans garbage is another man/womans treasure

What if that person has a treasure trove of Pokemon (virtual and physical). That sad sight yard sales just got a whole lot more valuable!

@upupdowndown

Right on. But I guess my thinking was, Wall Street doesn’t want to cover a

If the independent thinks its too shitty to write a positive note, then decline to write note. If the independent truly believes, or at least thinks there is a reasonable path to growth/buy-out target/etc, then write the note for the company.

I think you need to look up the definition of independent. You want the company to pay you to write independent research? This is called “issuer paid research” and is, well… the antithesis of independence.

An independent contractor is a natural person, business, or corporation that provides goods or services to another entity under terms specified in a contract or within a verbal agreement. There are such things as independent contractors that get paid a flat fee without incentives that can help maintain the report/person’s objectivity.

See above response.

^No, he has a point. If you’re being compensated by the company, no one will view you as “independent”. (Even if your opinions are)