Jobs, who wants them?

It’s hard for me to feel interested in the whole job thing.

These days my portfolio makes enough to where actually working a job feels weird (opportunity cost). I’ve been taking consulting jobs, work really hard for a month, and get paid a big chunk of cash. That’s okay. But even then, some months my portfolio makes nearly that, with zero “work”. Still, I do like a project now and then.

But a salaried job? Are you f@#$ing kidding me, who would want that? I see the LinkedIn job postings, these narrowly defined robot humans they are looking for, to sit around and surf the internet pretending to be someone or pretending to do something. Really you are just getting paid to be tortured by incompetent homo sapiens (HR, managers, coworkers, ugh). You gotta be really desperate to want that kind of pain in your life.

Feel what I’m sayin’ yo?

^ I wonder though, poor people too seem to be disinterested in jobs. Again it’s opportunity cost, sure they could work hard and make minimum wage, but would that really change their situation? Not really. Maybe jobs are just very 20th century?

People like the perception of stability that salary provides. I’ve done straight commission sales, ran my own portfolio full time and know how you feel.

a lot of people can’t stomach a short term market loss or even have the money or knowledge to invest at all so the salary/job route is the only option available to them. Good to have options.

Maybe a job would be more appealing if you were paid more money?

Hmm, I’m not really sure a job would be more appealing, simply by increasing the money. Even for well paying jobs, it’s still a job, and still has the negatives associated with that.

I know this one couple in which the man has 2 jobs, and the wife loves to brag about it. On top of that, the guy in the most penny pinching person I have ever seen, but I guess that is okay because they have 3 kids and every penny counts in this matter. Point is: commoners love having jobs

Basically it sounds like you are speaking to a relatively small % of the population - those wealthy enough (likely from past successful jobs) that can live off their portfolio income and part-time work.

A. As I mentioned, unless you inherited a ton of wealth, you only got to that position by working jobs (unless you slung rock successfully) - so I’m a little at a loss regarding this view.

B. You don’t seem to factor in many other variables and values in life (eg. social interaction). Hint: many very wealthy people who are laid off can become quite depressed - a job provides more value than solely the pay or opportunity to perform work

Sure, that’s true. You work a job, the job pays money, so then you have money, and don’t need a job. After working a job for 20yrs, you would think people would have had enough? Post-40, it’s hard to imagine why one would want a job…I am struggling to find a reason in my own life. Can’t think of one.

Well that’s just pathetic, they get their happiness and self-worth from a job? indecision

PA you have enough saved up for retirement, for possible health issues, you own a house, you have money to give to your kids/grandkids?

We all want financial freedom, no doubt, but most people need to pave their way to achieve that level of success.

I can agree with this. A job is a means to an end that you use to build up security and a retirement pad (while gaining as much non-monetary benefits along the way). I can’t see myself working beyond 45 (bye bye off to my boat sailing into the sunset middle finger in the air)

Meh, it’s close, TVM calcs say I’m probably fine. Previously was thinking I would “get a job” one more time, but now I’m thinking I’ll just call it done, goof off for the next 40yrs. The thought of a job is really just such a turn-off, a very distasteful chore, I can’t bring myself to want it.

Well what seems pathetic to you, is not pathetic to everyone. Personally - and keep in mind I’m just starting my career in finance - I got a lot of pleasure from just working in the financial district here in Toronto, suiting up daily, just kind of being a part of that ‘fraternity’. Is that pathetic, possibly, but I don’t imagine I’m the only one. I’m sure that feeling wears off after a decade or two in the business, having a family, and not being able to attract young female professionals any longer :frowning: lol

True, it’s pretty awesome for the first decade, but it does wear off.

What I feel is that you’re incredibly impressed with yourself, but you’re not getting enough strokes from your peers, so you believe that you have to tell us how great you are.

Have I missed something?

Here come the poopy pants mods!

Yawn, maybe you are very concerned with what other people think of you? Have I missed something?

What’s me being a moderator have to do with anything?

Yes, you’ve missed something. As usual.

You need a pretty good paying job to have a house paid + a lot of money to invest + safety at age 40. It’s likely unrealistic for 90% of people or more.

^ I would say they are just doing it wrong. Live below your means, don’t accumulate stuff, don’t use debt (don’t ever do a home mortgage), TVM, it’s pretty easy.

Of course if everyone did that, it would not be possible, since the economy would crash and they would all be out of work. Therefore agree, only possible for around 10% to do it, but those 10% do not need to be high income, just good with math/planning.

Just the WaterCooler post from way back about his plastic surgery (having some ribs removed).