Next Career Steps from a Pension Plan

My current job consists of working with asset allocation, manager selection, and portfolio level analytics for a large pension fund. I’m 27, sitting for CFA Level 3 and CAIA Level 2 next year, and currently located in the Southeast, US. A big plus is with a $50B plan I have the opportunity to work with alternative asset classes and investment strategies that one typically doesn’t get exposure to, especially in my geographic area.

I have been offered a position to work on the Private Equity fund and Co-Investment underwriting team, which would be very different from my current portfolio level gig, but would be an internal promotion in title and salary (~$100k for context.) My question is for those that have insight into the plan management space or had experience with those who have, what typically are the next career steps for someone going down my path? There is upside potential in my organization and I am not looking to start interviewing but I find myself looking down the road at what could come next, how should I best prepare myself (MBA, MSF,) and general input on how to get there.

Take the offer.

Yeah, I’m 90% sure I’m accepting the internal offer with the PE team, my question is really centered around what successful exit strategies have people witnessed/consider a logical next step from the pension investment world. Thoughts?

Consider yourself lucky. Most ive seen is jumping to another pension or endowment, maybe Fund of Funds but as someone mentioned before no one in FoFs wants out so it’s hard to get in.