What does the Trump election mean for financial risk managers?

I guess that risk managers (credit, market, and operational) all gained popularity since the financial crisis, thanks to regulations on Wall Street. Now that Trump is the president and likely to reduce regulations on Wall Street by modifying Dodd-Frank act, what does this mean for risk managers? Is the job market for risk management not as bright as before?

I guess the ironic thing is risk just shot off the charts , but the regulatory risk management guys are going to be out of jobs.

A recipe for disaster, we saw this movie before right? That said, these rules like Dodd-Frank were written by idiots, it’s not like they really prevent dangerous risk taking, I mean look at Yellen.

Risk-on! If Trump’s talk is realistic… lower corp tax + tax repatriation (increased investment), and tariffs on ex-US goods (higher domestic prices leading to potentially more jobs opened domestically for goods)…

No, if banks make more money, hiring will increase if anything.

risk job growth has been abnormally high in the past few years. If trump dismantles some of dodd frank, Regulatory Risk is definitely going to 0 to negative growth, other risk roles will fall back to normal bank growth numbers. the fall will be limited because banks a) will grow, b) it is unlikely he can dismantle the whole act or even significant pieces of it, c) the banks have sunk too much into these new initiatives to cut it all off.

100% agree. Do you think there’ll be a small delay between the money and the hiring?

Yea, I think stress testing has unintentionally made many banks step up their data game. Which ultimately should be helpful when dealing with their fintech competitors. I’m not sure if they’d entirely scrap what they’ve built, but surely the spend may stop increasing so fast.