Technology Consulting to Private Equity. Anyone ?

I have recently graduated and got offers from PwC and HSBC. The offer from PwC will be under Technology Consulting whereas HSBC will be under Retail Banking and Wealth Management (My first choice was Global Banking and Markets but was given RBWM). I am facing a hard time to make decision and hope you guys can shed some lights. My ultimate goal is to join Private Equity within the next couple of years. Which offer would you take in order to best position yourself to get into PE in the future ?

Hmmm. PE can be a tough nut to crack and none of those really sound like they are natural feeders into the industry. PE mostly takes in from I-banking or if you have some direct operational experience in the space the PE fund is investing in.

The consulting role may play more into the operational side so maybe find out more about the position.

Some PE firms do take people with operational experience from consulting backgrounds so just gotta do a little more research on which firms do.

It’s definitely possible to break into PE with a Big 4/consulting background. I’m currently closing a deal with a PE firm in which every junior banker and one senior banker have worked at PwC but have no I-banking background whatsoever.

I’m not sure they could break into PE with a technology consulting position though. I’d be willing to bet that the PwC employees specialized in M&A consulting or some other group that specialized in valuations; perhaps one or more obtained their MBA.

Sounds like everyone suggest getting into consulting. thanks guys.