IB @ Big Four Accounting

I’m just wondering if anyone has any insight about working in corporate finance @ one of the big four accounting firms relative to the more traditional IB firms. Specifically, what are the hours and compensation levels like?

I work for a small mid-market debt fund. The hours are pretty absurd relative to pay and was wondering if a move in the mid-market CF @ Big Four direction would be more rewarding. There is tons of info about hours and pay about bulge bracket funds but not much on CF @ the Big Four. I wouldn’t consider myself young anymore so I can’t really do the crazy BB hours I’ve heard about but was wondering if the accounting firms were different.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Feel free to PM too.

Deloitte is pretty active in the middle market after acquiring McColl a while ago, but the pay is significantly less than BBs but hours are also better. I wouldn’t move to big four IB if you are already at a debt fund.

Why are you opposed to targeting firms on top tables? http://markets.ft.com/investmentBanking/tablesAndTrends.asp

It’s an easier lateral from debt fund (typically mid market) to mid market bank I assume?

I feel pretty undervalued where I am right now in terms of compensation vs. time investment. I’ve heard the top table firms pay well but also demand insane hours (i.e., 4-5 hrs sleep a night) - not sure if I can sustain that with a young family. I was just wondering if the mid-market CF shops were better with respect to hours.