can't get a Job!!!

Hey Analysts,

UnderwoodXI

1. Level 1 means nothing. So don’t use it as a job credential.

2. Are you using any references? Applying online to a company without knowing anyone through past academic/professional contact is useless. 3. Since you’re working in an IB, do you have any working relationships there you could leverage for an interview elsewhere?

3. Use your university’s alumni network. This has worked in the past for me. Set up an informational interview with someone who’s in a similar career field. Your goal is to get direct phone numbers from this person for jobs you’re interested in. Lastly, never give up. You’ll soon land something great and in a few years look back and think about how even landing an interview was once a challenge. This happens to almost everyone.

How long have you been job searching? It usually takes a while. Also, is your application any good? Maybe you should have someone knowledgeable review it.

Get in line there are thousands of people ahead of you

+1000

does the 6 month ‘contract’ mean you blew it? how can you have 6 months of work and no recommendations to stay or for other jobs and no interview setups given from current company if they know the contract bound in stone (I don’t know terms of contract) (no offense)

you seem like a fresh grad who has no good work experience so I’m not sure what you’d expect applying to auditor or assistant PM positions. I’m not even sure how you are a CPA next month without doing the mandatory accounting hours. keep applying and try to network.

welcome to the struggle.

Keep trying. Hate to break it to you but your experience is not unique. Breaking into the front office with little to no experience is tough. I am surprised you could not make it to Big 4 audit, I was under impression they take nearly everyone. Maybe you should try smaller accounting firms? Or something linked to ERP?

I disagree. Jobs posted online are more competitive, some ads are fake but there are firms out there looking to hire someone very urgently, you just need to find those. Of course, it is not the ideal route but alumni introduce too much noise into the process. IMO. Keep trying.

It’s not completely useless to apply online, but at the entry level, those postings will get 200-500 replies fairly quickly. Unless you are something special and submit your application very early in the queue, your odds of a reply will be quite low. Even if you apply online, you should stalk someone in the company and get them to hand your application to the hiring manager. If they like you, you can leapfrog the online sometimes.

I’ve gotten all my finance job interviews and offers from applying cold online. ohai is right about the number of applicants… I bs’ed with HR and two places I interviewed with both said they got over 300 applications and resumes in the first week.

Move out of Paris.