CFA, CFP or CFP, CFA

I just passed level III and have all the relevent work experience to get the Charter, so it is just a matter of time now. I am going to order business cards but don’t know which order to put the designations in as I currently hold the CFP also. I am asking for AF’s help in this monumental decision. Relevant facts: - I work with individual clients who know what the CFP is, but almost all will have no idea about the CFA (+1 CFP first) - CFA was harder (+1 CFA first) - Would like to get to instiutional money in the future (+1 CFA first) - My firm holds itself out as a fee-only financial planning firm (+1 CFP first) What do you think? Vote: 1= CFA, CFP 2= CFP, CFA 3= who cares you idiot Bonus point for best CFP flaming

This sounds like a good problem to have :wink: Nice work mwvt9!

definitely 1 CFA is like 3 CFP Cumulative exams, harder to get, and thus I think should be first. I am also attempting the combo as I already have CFP, but my plans were set back a year this go around with a magnificent 8 band fail.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just passed level III and have all the relevent > work experience to get the Charter, so it is just > a matter of time now. > > I am going to order business cards but don’t know > which order to put the designations in as I > currently hold the CFP also. I am asking for AF’s > help in this monumental decision. > > Relevant facts: > - I work with individual clients who know what the > CFP is, but almost all will have no idea about the > CFA (+1 CFP first) > - CFA was harder (+1 CFA first) > - Would like to get to instiutional money in the > future (+1 CFA first) > - My firm holds itself out as a fee-only financial > planning firm (+1 CFP first) > > What do you think? Vote: > > 1= CFA, CFP > 2= CFP, CFA > 3= who cares you idiot > > Bonus point for best CFP flaming Congratulations on passing. I would go with option 3 :slight_smile: I personally got my charter last year and the FRM 3 month later but did not order new business cards yet, I have a full box of old cards that I need to get rid off first. I added the CFA to my email signature block, but not the FRM. In your case I would just put CFA.

i think putting CFA last highlights it more. when you glaze over a business card, you’re more likely to notice what’s at the end of the name, IMO.

CF * ( A + P )

dlpicket Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CF * ( A + P ) CF(A,P)

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dlpicket Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > CF * ( A + P ) > > CF(A,P) Only maratikus…

Its pronounced “Chartered and Certified Financial Analyst and Planner Respectively”

I like this ^, but why did you put Chartered first?

I know I have a biased sample here, but you guys would really put CFA first or CFA alone if all the people that you are giving the card to don’t know anything about it?

Congrats. 3

jbaldyga Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think putting CFA last highlights it more. when > you glaze over a business card, you’re more likely > to notice what’s at the end of the name, IMO. It is custom to put whatever is more important closer to your name. Not last. FYI

100% choice 1.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know I have a biased sample here, but you guys > would really put CFA first or CFA alone if all the > people that you are giving the card to don’t know > anything about it? People are dumb. I definitely wouldn’t put CFA alone because people who don’t know about the program, however little sense it makes, might dock you points based on the assumption that you don’t have a CFP. That said, can’t you see what others at your firm have done in this situation?

MWVT - I’m in the same boat and am going to put CFA, CFP The CFA will stand out either way to anyone who knows what it is, and I agree with the post above that many people will best recall the last designation - which will work fine with your personal clients.

If I were listing multiple designations I’d probably list them in order from most to least challenging, but I really don’t think that it matters.

mwvt, I’ve had both for about a year now (CFA first), work at a fee-based financial planning firm, and put CFA, CFP . If you’re working with HNW clients, you’d be suprised the number that know about the CFA.

This poll is subject extreme to sampling bias.