golf

Why is golf THE sport for businessmen? I’ve been practicing it and i just don’t find it that entertaining.

Then you’re doing it wrong. Either get good at it or bring more beers.

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why is golf THE sport for businessmen? > > I’ve been practicing it and i just don’t find it > that entertaining. B/C you can be 100lbs overweight and still beat someone who is in great shape. Also the beer cart girls are typically hot. I sacked one a while back, even though I shot a 96 that day.

Seriously? There’s nothing better than shooting the sh!t and making fun of your buddies’ tee shot through 18 holes, haha. I think there are some parallels between golf and business, such as risk/reward and contingency planning.

^^ Agreed, it’s not often you can just rag on your friends for 5 hours while drinking and not walk away with a black eye.

What other sport/game (depending on the camp you fall in) can you get a captive audience with a prospect for 4-5 hours? It is preferred for business because you can actually talk business. Try doing that playing tennis.

It was also once a game for society’s elite and some places still have that feeling about it.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It was also once a game for society’s elite and > some places still have that feeling about it. Most places worth playing have that feeling about the game. There are not too many muni courses, at least in this area, that are any good. You have to belong or know someone who belongs to get onto good grass down here.

I prefer to give my time to very demanding sports when I’m young. Then I’ll give some time to stuff like golf.

Viceroy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I prefer to give my time to very demanding sports > when I’m young. > Then I’ll give some time to stuff like golf. Why can’t you do both? Demanding sports demand days off, on days off you play golf.

Its definitely possible to do demanding sports as well as less demanding sports - just have to prioritize. I do triathlon training for fitness (shooting for an Ironman in 2011), and working on Squash/Golf/Tennis for business… also MMA/rock-climbing/mountaineering for gits and shiggles, but thats an on-again/off-again love affair.

For me; Tennis Mtn Biking Weights Golf Rock Climbing I;m no rusty rudder, but you can definitly mix harsh with calm.

i like the driving range.

Golf is the greatest sport evar. You don’t have to be good. You can drink copious amounts of booze while conducting business. There are hot cart girls with big tatas (almost always, otherwise find a new course). You can also escape from the mrs or gf. If I could play 100x a year I would do it in a heartbeat. Right now I’m limited to getting out 10x a year if I’m lucky.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I could play 100x a year I would do it in a > heartbeat. I know a guy who sold a small company and that’s exactly what he’s been doing the last two years. He’s drunk and high by the time he arrives everyday to the course.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know a guy who sold a small company and that’s > exactly what he’s been doing the last two years. > He’s drunk and high by the time he arrives > everyday to the course. You know Mark Cuban ! ?

Haha, I didn’t know Cuban also do that. This guy sold it for ~$10-12M and cannot be back in his former industry (food) again in like five years. So I don’t know if he’s really just waiting to complete his time or what.

My father is a pro golfer, so I’ve always enjoyed the sport. Sadly the talent seems to have skipped a generation with me…

pro golfer as in tour or club pro? I’m headed Florida to play the minor league golf tour for the winter after level 1

Tour pro all his life, easing into retirement on the Champions Tour now.