Executive MBA from Wharton - as prestigious as full-time?

I believe I have a good shot at being admitted to the 2012 executive MBA program at Wharton. At my current position, I am at the same level (same title) as fresh top-10 MBAs (plenty of HBS, Wharton, Columbia, Chicago, etc). I’m hopeful to be promoted to the next level in December. The company is prestigious and the position I have is highly sought after by top MBAs and I believe Wharton would view me as an attractive candidate. In other words, based on great work experience, actuarial credentials and the CFA (expected) I should have greater than 50/50 shot at being accepted (with company tuition support). I know this board has a high percentage of fresh out of undergrad business majors and hopeful IT folks so I’m not expecting some great feedback on my chances of acceptance. What I would like to know is if the executive MBA from Wharton would be perceived as prestigious as the full-time program. They do not have a different name for the executive program and they advertise it as being equivalent as the rigorous full time, but outside perception is what matters (not some marketing brochure).

nope

if you can put MBA on ur business card / resume , its jsut as prestigious if you put EMBA, than its not as prestigious

Well, if you are asking this question, that’s an indicator that it’s not as prestigious as the full time program. Of course, this doesn’t mean that it’s not a good opportunity for you with little opportunity costs.

IMO the prestigious is def. less. Though, I’m guessing, the lack of networking and recruiting access seriously discounts value of the E-MBA to the MBA. But, if your not looking for that, then maybe its a good choice.

I suspect that the diploma you will receive will be the exact same diploma that a full-time Wharton MBA will receive. It will say MBA, not EMBA. If you put your credential on your business card or in a bio, you will write MBA, not EMBA. 1 person out of 10 may ask you whether your MBA was full-time, part-time, executive, etc. And even that person may not particularly care about the difference. If your employer is willing to shell out for you to do a Wharton EMBA, you should jump at it and not think twice.

You and I are on the same page, Wendy, but I wanted to hear from the peanut gallery about different thoughts. For example, NYU has different names for their part-time MBA versus their full-time. I’m guessing that Stern is looked upon differently than the Lagone program (not saying which is better, just different). For Wharton I believe it’s the same name on the diploma and how you reference it in your bio or resume (I could be wrong)… never put MBA on your business card, btw. The recruting aspect that comes with full-time programs isn’t of great interest for me but the top MBA is. I’m not sure if they’d pay for all of it, but I’d gladly pony up $100k if they took care of the rest.

Seriously? wharton does not distinguish at all from full time MBA vs EMBA? Good to know. From now on, I’ll make sure to ask everyone with a Wharton MBA which kind they got. Then immediately discount the EMBA. Thanks for the info.

I don’t think any schools give out different diplomas to EMBAs, full-time MBAs, part-time MBAs, etc. The credential you get at the end is all the same. (Though I could be wrong about that.) Anyhow, I’ve read tons of Wall Street bios, and virtually every one lists an MBA, and none of them give any indication of the format. At a lot of schools, an EMBA involves a lot less course hours than a full-time MBA. I think Wharton is one school where their EMBA is academically equivalent to their full-time MBA. At least, that’s how Wharton promotes it.

We include bios for our investment professionals on every client report. For example, it often ends with “Danny Boy has XX years of investment and financial services experience and holds an MBA from the Stern School of Business at New York University and a bachelor’s degree from XX.” The interesting thing is if the program has a name, such as Stern, then it is referenced. If it doesn’t, such as HBS and Wharton, then you’d never be able to tell.

I should have been more clear. On the bios Wharton is referenced as well as University of Pennsylvania. It’s just that the Wharton name applies to MBA and executive MBA.

I don’t know whether you have to differenciate EMBA from MBA on your resume, business card or in a bio; however, I do know that the schools don’t say E-MBA on their diploma. That’s what I’ve read from the Businesweek or the Wall Street Journal, a while ago. (I don’t recall what the article was about) If they accept you, it should be no brainer decision.

You can say you have an MBA from Wharton, but it’s definitely not as prestigious as the full-time MBA program. People will be able to tell when they see on your resume that you were working at the same time you were attending school so you can all it what you want. But at the end of the day, maybe it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks but you, and at some point we all have to get over worrying about what everyone else thinks and do what’s best for ourselves… However, more practically speaking, the main disadvantage is that none of the standard recruiting channels will be open to you. A huge benefit of full-time business school is being able to attend full-time campus events, engage with students, and participate in recruiting – and you don’t have access to that stuff as an EMBA. EMBA’s are not allowed to attend those things (with good reason too in my opinion, but that’s neither here nor there). And also the EMBA is far less selective than the full-time program but that would be the case with any school, i.e. full-time vs. exec vs. part-time, etc. As with anything, you have to think about how the potential benefits outweigh the potential costs – prestige may not be a big deal to you for anyone that’s “not in the know” (i.e. full-time students know the difference and EMBA’s are simply NOT part of that same crowd, even if they belong under the overall Wharton umbrella). However, if you think that attending the EMBA is better for your own personal goals, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Full time or bust. Don’t kid yourself

At 31 with a great career I don’t think a full-time MBA is a good option for me. I’m very happy with my position and trajectory. Numi - thanks for the insight. I was hoping you’d chime in. I’m not interested in the recruiting benefit offered with the full-time MBA. I’m at the point in my career where an MBA will not open further doors but I’m trying to ensure the lack of ivy league background never closes them (or makes it more difficult). I’m not concerned with prospective employers knowing my MBA is an EMBA, but I am concerned with prospective clients being less attracted. Asset management clients do like to see top schools on the bios of the professionals that are taking care of their money. In the end, because Wharton does not use a different name for their two programs, I guess nobody will know it is an EMBA unless they’re really doing their research or I tell them (current and future employers excluded, obviously).

You will be fine. Your bio will state your experience and also that you have a Wharton MBA. When you are meeting investors etc, they will feel reassured that you have the pedigree. I have never had a client go through my resume in any degree and I have never been in a meeting with a portfolio manager where we have questioned it. Hell, some hedge fund managers have liberal arts degrees and that is it. Good experience, nice CV filler. So end of story in my opinion, go for it.

Go for it. Agree with Muddahudda. It’s all in the brand, you get that with the E-MBA. You don’t need to benefit from entry level recruiting opportunities given by the firm. You are also happy with your job. You might even enjoy the time away from the office!

DO IT!!! FT MBA people will just be jealous no matter what you say because 1) you’re putting the same name on your resume that they are, 2) you’re getting the same thing with less percieved work being put in, 3) you already have the job, and 4) you’re getting it paid for by your company. you = win

Doesn’t it seem ridiculous to pay that amount of money to go to a program you have no interest in other than being able to claim attendance in one sentence of a biography for clients. That being said, I agree, it’s a good idea and you should definitely do it. It will probably work to your advantage.

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > At 31 with a great career I don’t think a > full-time MBA is a good option for me. I’m very > happy with my position and trajectory. > > Numi - thanks for the insight. I was hoping you’d > chime in. > > I’m not interested in the recruiting benefit > offered with the full-time MBA. I’m at the point > in my career where an MBA will not open further > doors but I’m trying to ensure the lack of ivy > league background never closes them (or makes it > more difficult). I’m not concerned with > prospective employers knowing my MBA is an EMBA, > but I am concerned with prospective clients being > less attracted. Asset management clients do like > to see top schools on the bios of the > professionals that are taking care of their > money. > > In the end, because Wharton does not use a > different name for their two programs, I guess > nobody will know it is an EMBA unless they’re > really doing their research or I tell them > (current and future employers excluded, > obviously). This post made it clearer as to why you want the brand of Wharton vs a FT MBA vs EMBA. Having worked in AM/Buyside firm, I know how important it is to have a brand name school on your bio, especially on the RFP that is sent to prospective institutional clients. Totally go for it! It will serve the purpose and help you make your bio look credible.