anybody from Toronto?

currently overseas, but might return to Toronto, but how’s the job market?

the bad things: degree’s from Ryerson and 0 work experience. i passed levels I and II (hopefully III this summer), but I know thats almost meaningless without work experience.

if hiring is VERY slow, i might just stay oveseas another year again.

Stay overseas hommie

what are u doing there?

that’s the thing, man…im teaching english and it’s a dead-end…im thinking perhaps just trying to network here …

that’s the thing, man…im teaching english and it’s a dead-end…im thinking perhaps just trying to network here …

im willing to do entry level work as long as it’s in the field…but even ifthat’s hard to get…i might just stay

Go back to school…for finance Ivey or Rotman are your best bet

i was afraid you might say that…ahha

are you working in TO right now? things that slow?

Where’d you go to UG and what did you major in?

ryerson, finance

Job market isn’t bad in Toronto I think. We just had a full rotation in my dept (I work in Corporate Forecasting for a major bank). Banks seems to hiring as people are always moving about. However, experience is King - so really just getting your foot in the door is what you need.

I did finance at ryerson too!

Hope that helps.

Your predicament of coming back now wont’ change a year from now. The job market won’t change drastically and you have yet aged another year and anothe ryear without experience.

Come back now and work some backoffice job, then jump in like 2 -3 years, when the market does hopefully pick up.

Ryerson degree isn’t the best on the resume either, so get your experience up asap!

Also, I do see quite a number of jobs if you are not picky about the firm and the salary. But at your position, it’s not like you can be picky anyways. You just have to take what comes your way at this point.

thansk for your input, guys. I will be returning!

And, y es, at this point I’m NOT picky AT ALL. As long as it’s relevant work experience (research, analyst, management, whatever), I’ll do it. I know I gotta pay my dues.

And, y es, at this point I’m NOT picky AT ALL. As long as it’s relevant work experience (research, analyst, management, whatever), I’ll do it. I know I gotta pay my dues.

Then you should look to join a custodian firm. they are backoffice, but you get all the exposure and its knowledge you can somewhat transfer

Any notable ones?

Thanks everyone for your input, especially you whystudy.

The 3 firms that are easier to get into are. RBC Dexia, CIBC Mellon and State Street.

The salary won’t be high, but it will give you the experience from the ground up.

Or you can join an investment cosulting firm such as Aon Hewitt, Mercer etc.

Those are very relevant to the material you have learned in level 3 and its heavy institutional based.

Don’t fall into the trap of retail investment.

Thanks, man.

One more question: do you know when peak hiring season?