Business Analyst Job Offer

I recently had an informal offer to work for a former boss with whom I have a good relationship at a large wirehouse firm to work as a business analyst in a strategic planning group. The group acts as an internal consulting group searching for ways to grow the business. As you might imagine, a lot of the job will be project management and building power point presentations. I currently work for a investment advisory firm in the areas of portfolio management and trading. The firm is relatively a decent size with >$1 billion in AUM. I am not quite sure whether to leave my current employer for this new oportunity. The pros would be greater mobility and advancement opportunities, however my real career goals are to be in the capital markets, which I would be leaving to take this role. I am leaning toward staying where I am but I am not sure if I am being dumb for passing up this opportunity at a much larger firm. What do you guys think?

Congratulations on your (informal) offer. It sounds like this is a bigger job than what you currently have, but you have reservations since it’s not a “market participant” job. You should probably try to look at your choices in an objective way. That is, determine what are the things that matter to you - money, lifestyle, employee interaction. etc. - and decide which choice has the best combination of these. Try not to hold onto the notion of being a “capital market participant” if you cannot explain it objectively. I would leave a finance job if there was something better in another field.

I would leave finance for a much more stable job in a field I really enjoy, if the hours were better and I would only sacrifice a minor pay cut

Are you still in finance?