Canadian Writing Series 7

Any tips from Canadians who have written the Series 7 or from those who have written the Series 7 in general. Is the Series 7 basically just the CSC but with U.S. tax and regulations? If so, why is it so long?

Any recommendations for study materials? Does FINRA provide basic study materials? I passed all three CFA exams by just using the CFAI texts so I’d rather just get free or cheap materials to study for the Series 7 rather than pay Kaplan or some provider like that.

I have the same questions as above about the Series 66. Study materials?

Thanks guys!

Bump. Any input on study materials?

When I took the Series 7, I used Passtrak (I think). I studied for probably 100 hours total.

Remember–I knew nothing about nothing when I took the S7. I didn’t even know the difference between a stock and a bond, and I was still able to pass with 100 hours of study. So if you’re a CFA Charterholder, it will probably be a breeze.

That’s not to say you don’t need to review the material–you certainly do. But most of it will probably be intuitive or a refresher for you.

thanks for the response Greenie. the content definitely looks quite simple for a Charterholder. the only sections worth studying will be U.S.-specific account info and regulations. i’m confused why FINRA adminsters exams but doesn’t seem to provide any study materials.

Same reason State boards of public accountancy don’t give study material. They’re not “teaching” you the material. It’s not meant to be a “study” program. Theyre making sure you have enough knowledge to get a license.

weakness. Canadian licensing programs provide basic materials. that said, Canadian programs are pretty expensive (relatively) so the cost of materials is clearly included.