Switching to CQF from CFA (for now)

Hello Guys,

I passed June 2014 CFA level 1 exams and am very excited!!. I earned lot knowledge in CFA level 1 curriculum. Its the best education in Finance Field, but my experience is in software development and background is in Enginnering, I wanted something where I can use my knowledge and exprience.

Hence I thought I should do CQF which is only 6 months course and complete CFA level 2 and 3 later on. Any thoughts/Guidance on the same?

You’d be better off to do a MFE degree rather than the CQF, IMHO, if this is where your interests lay.

Ya know, this is the first time I’ve looked at the CQF program and the curriculum actually looks pretty solid. Now if only people had heard of it outside a select few…

It’s also pretty forking expensive… Almost $20k!

Thanks Guys for the comments, I been to NYU and couple of other universities for MFE program/degree and found the admission process is pretty complex especially for a full-time working person. On the brighter side of CQF, it is having pretty solid alumni with nicely recorded and stored all previous lectures and seminars.The other advantage is in the seminars by CQF institute I can meet and hang out with other Quants.

I admit that I am not going to get the glorious M.S. degree but the practical knowledge in CQF will hold equal importance in industry.

But I will keep you posted about the progress.

M4tt30, they gave me 10% discount because of clearing CFA level 1, so thats nice!

That’s good to hear at least. I wonder if they give more for each level you pass?

I also see that there are a couple (50%) scholarships available - any idea how many people enroll?

They give flat 10% discount regardless of level and 250 candidates enroll per course worldwide.

Found a link on linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Join-CQF-in-Frankfurt-London-738597.S.5920925102446256130?view=&item=5920925102446256130&type=member&gid=738597&midToken=AQF_Sgjwdz20ZQ&fromEmail=fromEmail&ut=3s1QEoMINi0Cs1

Man, that’s pricey.

CQF is something nice for you to have but I am not sure if it is worth the $$$. There are too many people taking CQF and the final exam of it is open book and all of the people I heard who have done this programme were able to get an distinction.

Plus, none of them have ever been able to switch to FE after the programme.

Also, can you really learn so much in such a complicated field by doing 6-month’s part time studying?