Eligibility for the CFA

Hi all.

I have recently completed the investment management certificate program. Following on from this, I would like to progress to the CFA. However, I have a slight issue with eligibility - I do not have a degree - nor am I studying for one.

I understand that 4 years of professional work experience would also be sufficient. However, what would constitute professional? I have 4 years experience in a retail company at assistant manager posttion. Would this be sufficient to be eligible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Call the CFAI

It’s my understanding that the four years work experience to enroll can be anything. You could work at Burger King for four years and enroll. Getting the actual charter is another issue.

Thanks, folks - I did try and call them, but the lady wasn’t much help and couldn’t tell me if my job would qualify or not. You’ve given me the confidence to try and enrol - thanks!

Assistant manager in retail to Goldman Sachs. This guy is going to write a Times best seller.

I think you should be able to enrol, this has come up a couple times before and you don’t need a degree to enrol in the program. Go through the process anyway and see if it lets you move past the education section.

I don’t know what the rule is, but people without degrees should be allowed to enrol. If they think they have the discipline to pass, more power to them.

And more $$ for CFAI.