CFAI vs Schweser

I know this topic has been visited and revisited but one more time won’t hurt. I want some more recent accounts of what people thought of using Schweser vs the CFAI material. I simply want a little reassurance before completely buying into Schweser (besides ethics). Any responses would be appreciated

I failed using Schweser, passed using CFAI

Passed L1 and L2 on 1st try exclusively using Schweser

Passed L1 and L2 on 1st try exclusively using CFAI material.

So basically your answer is, it doesnt really matter. Whatever works for you.

^ Although, I suppose your point means Schweser is sufficient to pass and maybe CFAI is unnecessary.

Personally I’ve found that Schweser is easier to get through becuase its truncated and since I’ve passed I can say that for me its been sufficient. I was recommended Schweser by a chartherholder friend back when i started so thats what I used. I try to not to recommend a particular study plan for anyone beyond just providing my personal example when solicited. Everyone studies differently, different strokes for different folks.

Yeah. My plan is to use primarily Schweser except for ethics. I’ve been taking notes while I go along in Schweser and I’ll revisit topics in the CFAI where I’m not too strong. Also the EOCs of course at the end for practice problems

Schweser to understand the material. EOCs from Schweser and CFAI. Read all CFAI summaries (end of chapters). Qbank when you’re bored (but don’t let it fool you, it’s too easy). And mocks. *Read ethics when you go to the john.

Use both. Don’t get lazy. Start early if you think you will lack time.

i’m going for the exam this december. I start learning with CFAI materials, after the first and the half of the second book I switched to Schweser. In my opinion it’s much easier to read through. CFAI has more (for me too much) explanations, so this is maybe better for people who are new in finance.

I guess, that passing the exam is possible with both

I purchased Schweser for June 2015.

Can somebody provide me details on how they approached the material (ie. Reading, EOCs). I’m just wondering when is a good time to start Schweser QBANK?

Thanks,

HB

One of my not-so-bright friends passed L3 on first attempt using only CFAI materials.  I was amazed. Until he told me that he had devoted 700 (!!!) hours to studying. If you’re a more typical candidate and only plan to devote 300 (or – in my case – 250) hours to your studies, you may not have time to read the official books.

^ Overstudying is a good strategy if you want to pass. Short term pain for long term gain. And no opportunity costs if the alternative is playing video games or watching TV.