How did you gather the courage to try to become a charterholder?

I’m having trouble deciding if i want to take it. I’m horrified at the thought of dedicating all that time, being stressed, and then failing.

I haven’t even registered yet, but I want to. I want to soak in all the knowledge this has to offer, and gain more opportunities that may come with it. I want to do this moreso for the knowledge than anything else. I just recently graduated from university with a degree in finance. I soaked all the knowledge from those courses, got As in all of them, and I still feel like I don’t know enough. I’m now working in the finance field, and while doing that, decided to look into becoming a charterholder.

However, everytime I think about going through the journey obtaining a charter, it stops me in my tracks.

You have a fear issue and going through the program is the least of your problems.

You say you want to register.

Then all you got to think about is Level 1. Dont worry about L2/L3 and getting the charter now. Think of taking baby steps, one at a time. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Let me ask you this: Can you look at yourself in the mirror and say, “Because I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me”?

Man, I wish I knew as much as you did when I started. I didn’t even know what time value of money was cause I’ve never even taken a finance course and only 1 accounting from like 5 years ago. And I still did it in like 18 mo, 24 if you include when I first got the books. Have some confidence, especially if you want to work in finance, or anywhere for that matter.

Pure ignorance. I knew I wanted the charter but had NO idea how much work it would be. After diving into L1 and realizing what I’d gotten myself into (only for L1), I got excited by the challenge and couldn’t give it up.

I couldn’t quit you, CFA - you had me by the short hairs…

look in the mirror and say “do I want models and bottles?”

If you’re about to cry with a resounding “yes”. then do it

I agree with Itera, I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my days on this earth surrounded by hot twenty-somethings. The CFA was my golden ticket. Plus, I generate superior investment returns now.

Love these existential CFA threads.

im doing it because it lends credibility and is selective due to the difficulty. i agree with ppl that its not worht the time and effort. but people who aspire to be best in breed must always give up their time for the sake of progress. “we curing cancer baby”

it’s about models and bottles, or hacksaw.

My boss told me that the company decided that all of the analysts would sit for the CFA exams.

Thinking back on it, it was one of the easier decisions I’ve had to make in life.

Have some self confidence, believe in yourself and just do it.

If you enjoy the material (and you’re reasonably smart and dedicated) then you’ll make it through the program.

to be fair it was only 2 levels back then and open book cheeky

On the other hand, we had to value swaps using an abacus.

“So you want to be a writer?” by C. Bukowski. Read that OP.

Your question amuses me, because “courage” was never the issue. I was more afraid of having to explain to people why I was too dumb/lazy to get the charter than I was afraid of putting in the 1000 hours and $3000. $3000 is a drop in the bucket compared to what an MBA would cost.

I actually thought i was preparing for the CFP the entire time.

oops

You may think that’s funny, but in some corners of the world (20 years ago) you were required to learn how to use an abacus…not that I remember how to use it very well, but I vaguely remember having a lively percussion ensemble (we were a bunch of bratty snots).