MS Financial Economics combined with CFA..... A good idea?

Hello guys!

I am planning on doing MS Financial Economics this fall from University of Buffalo. Now I am thinking that to build up my CV I should also start CFA and be done with level 1 in this december. How relevant will my degree be to CFA, as in, will it improve my chances in the job market if I have both and do these two compliment each other or will they be irrelevant to each other?

Also will level 1 with MS financial Economics be enough to land me a good job initially keeping in mind that I am an international student?

Please also advise what other degree or certificate would compliment my degree if CFA is not for me?

Furthermore please also tell me what sort of jobs will open up for me if I am able to do these 2?

Finally can anybody tell me what sort of jobs will be readilly available to me if i only do MS fin?

Please give your opinion keeping networking out of discussion as I already know that its important.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I forgot to ask one thing, is it possible to cover the syllabus till this december given that I have 45 days completely free and the I will start my MS program and will be busy in that. So is the time enough to cover all the topics?

Just to let you guys know, I did my undergran in economics and have taken quite a few finance courses and 2 basic accounting courses so I should be comfortable with some of the material.

You have it all backwards. Figure out what kind of job you want first, then use education (like masters and CFA) to get you there.

well currently I am interested in asset management so CFA does seem logical… but I wouldnt want my options to be limited so the idea is to have a general degree such as financial econ and work towards a specialization by acquiring a CFA… am I making sense? because to be honest, its a tough decision to commit to CFA so i would want to be sure that im moving in the right direction for the rigth reasons.

CFA is never going to harm any profile, it will only add weight to your resume, maybe differentiate you from similar other candidates and increase the prospects of getting shortlisted for an interview… and it is certainly relevant to what you intend to do…

you should be able to crack L1 easily … you have 5 months…

Ms Financial Economics plus CFA Level I is fine for seeking a job such as an financial analyst. But just only doing the Level I exam, then you should focus on MS program. It could be tough but not impossible to both finish CFA materials and study your MS program. Your existing knowlege also give some help in preparation for the CFA exam.