Is the CFA useful with no finance experience?

Hello,

didn’t read a word of your story, just answering the headline

CFA is worthless without finance experience IMO…

In fact, you cannot _ get _ your charter without (four years of) finance experience.

after reading your story, I totally agree with it as I had to face similar situation. Passed the exams but had no experience in finance world, I thought after passing level 3 that people in asset management would be standing at their doors to welcome me in but It didn’t turn out to be that way. After trying for 2 months, I got an interview call and later someone in HR told me that they hired someone with experience. They value experience far more than qualifications and getting an entry into buy side is not a walk in the park even for CFAs.

Plus I feel the same that I wasted my precious time studying hard for these exams, could have gained experience in a bank atleast and would be at a position higher than where I am right now. Will definitely post on this forum the day I got breakthrough because of CFA…Hope that day comes soon

Nice post Zach, thanks for the insight. Do you think a MFE would have been more useful than the CFA given your CS degree and FRM? And a move into quant trading?

I think that financial industry is in structural decline.No matter the letters that you add after your name,the situation is still the same.finance had a good prospect in the 2000s which is not true anymore ,i think even few decades forward.What is a good strategy to me is to work in a firm providing the new risk measurement (xva for example),the risk management is being redefined and i think there are nice opportunities to take.

No employer hires some person with totally unrelated experience just because they passed a few CFA exams. Tons of ppl have passed CFA exams that will have some tangential experience

Need to combine CFA exams with something else, either a top MBA, or literally know someone that can slot you in

Classic story/mistake. You actually thought the exams would catapult you to a PM position with no relevant experience? Wow…

i don’t understand your wow, i was looking for entry level job.any way i agree with the classic story /mistake

The CFA is really an advanced program.

It’s like writing a PhD disseration hoping it would help enroll you in a good Ms program.