Passed Level III last year, never applied for Charter

I passed Level III in 2014, have all the relevant work experience, but have not yet applied for the charter. My (small) company will not pay for the annual dues or other society memberships so I’ve just not applied. The charter will not help me at my current job, but I pursued it anyways just in case things didn’t work out here. Is anyone aware of a scenario in which waiting too long to apply for the charter will keep me from getting approved? Thanks!

You should e-mail CFA Institute and ask them.

As usual, S2000’s advice is sound.

Lol.

It’s easier, more efficient, and more direct and less scary posting here than dealing with CFAI directly.

THe institute are most likely to give out copy and paste answers that usually does not address the questions.

Probably.

Probably not. (Most people here won’t have had experience with this specific question.)

Not remotely.

Only for the incredibly timid; CFA Institute isn’t at all scary.

Spoken like someone who hasn’t a clue about e-mailing CFA Institute.

I’ve done it numerous times; they’re always been quick to reply and on point.

It’s probably better if you confine your advice to areas in which you actually have some knowledge.

One potentially complicating factor, that I’m sure CFAI can clarify for you, is the need for your references to attest to your work experience. If you wait several years to apply, will your references actually be able to verify your work experience?

References are definitely a concern for me. My colleagues were not happy in my decision to pursue the CFA, as they thought it would encourage me to to leave, so asking them to verify my work may require a little ‘buttering up’.

I reached out to the CFAI yesterday, so will certainly share with all the feedback. Thanks!

Have you ever emailed CFAI? They are very quick (efficient), direct (easier) and professional (scary?). They will answer your question tailored to your specific question.

Yes, I emailed them yesterday afternoon on S2000’s recommendation. Once they respond I’ll share with all. Thanks!

Annual dues aren’t that much, and you don’t have to pay society dues etc…just pay up yo.

You do have to pay local society dues the first year, as you must be a member of a local society to actually become a charterholder. The local can be dropped after that.

I dropped NYSSA this year. Bye Bye NYSSA although Nathan is super cool

correct

Not true. You do not have to be a local society member. You only need to apply.

Not following this advice is prevalent in all walks of life, this board being no exception. I believe it might be a disorder of some kind, like a twitch.

I stand corrected. I wonder if CFAI secretly withholds actually awarding the charter until after the person has been accepted to a local and paid the annual dues?

Is palantir an esquire?

^? This topic has come up before. There is no requirement for local society membership at any time.

Finally got a response, there is no time limit in which I must apply:

Thank you for contacting us about your current status within CFA Institute. I can verify that your account will be ready for charterholder status when you apply and are awarded regular membership. There is no limit or expiration date of your account, and you will be able to apply and activate your account at any time in the future.

I hope this is helpful. If you need further assistance, please respond to this email or call us at +1 (434) 951-5499. Toll free numbers can be found on our contact us page.