CFA charter or CPA license

Which one has a better job prospects for an outsider in the States - “CFA charter or CPA license”?

(Note: MBA is strickly excluded)

Really interesting question – very different applications. CPA is required in some fields, but the CFA isn’t a requirement for anything. For example, I got my CPA during my audit days at a Big 4 firm. Now, I work as a CPA/Accoutant for a mutual fund company. If a was CPA at another firm I had interviewed for when i was leaving audit, I wouldn’t have the opportunity to consider the CFA.

I believe most people who have both are more likely to have earned the CPA first, then pursue the CFA for career reasons. Just my experience (likely because I work with many CPAs). I just don’t see a successful CFA feeling the urge to get the CPA. “Successful” being the key work there.

too vague question for me to answer…

For an outsider (and many locals), CPA would be the better choice when considering job prospects.

CFA gets accross that you have a basic understanding of finance, ability to self-start, and can quickly absorb and learn a lot of information. These are all attractive qualities, but do not help standalone. You still need to network and hustle a bit for a job. It would open doors to firms and roles that require CFA charter, but that just means you will be competing with networked hustlers who already have the charter.

CPA is more mechanical and in many applications a regulatory requirement. Traditional acounting roles are more cookie cutter in the sense that CPA is a requirement.

Not sure what career route you are pursuing, and what kind of lifestyle you want. But in my research (n=1) I’ve seen more CPAs switch to investment roles than I have seen CFAs go into accounting. So you’re not necessarily pigeon-holed into doing accounting for the rest of your career if you don’t like it.

Not sure the relevance, but for context:

CFA: 150,000 charterholders, ~4% unemployed

CPA: 660,000, ~4% unemployed

CPA anytime…

First of all you need a job then you need a better job. That’s all I have to say.

Everyone I know who’s a CPA is miserable at their job and can’t wait to leave, most people I know who are CFAs are generally satisfied with their job and work-life balance. But that’s just anecdotal evidence.

I doubt very many H1B visas get issued for either, but I could be wrong. Hurry up, we’ve got politicians talking about shnrinking the program.

I guess a not so appealing mandatory qualification is worth much more than a gold standard which may not be a mandatory requirement (in terms of securing a job during a tough time).

Well may be because entry barriers (to get a job) to accounting is comparatively less than finance, thus a need is felt for hopping once you are into it. Hence it may not work the other way round.

May be, however if one does’nt even have a CPA licence, situation may be even worse for him. Specially for an outsider who is trying hard to get on the land.

“What is your name?..”

a question you may be asked almost everyday however neither does it stop anyone from asking it nor does it stop you from answering it. Probably because every time a new person ask the same question. I am wondering if I will ask a person to refer to “search function” if he ask my name.

Person who ask question differs, people who answer it differs (may be someone who has recently joined the forum who is answering the question), its their opinion/perception…may not be the same each and every time, thus request you to respect them.

You should consider writing poetry. Are you in ER?

Love what? Love whom?

An IT guy from India.

Violets are blue

SUNE is red

I know that I should’ve

Bought TSLA instead

Good Good!! Keep writing!