Clarification required regarding CFA study material.

Hi,

I am new to CFA and I have a very basic question.

On visiting the CFA institute site I see a one-time program enrollment fees ($450) which covers the cost for the eBook (contains the complete curriculum you need to study)

I was planning to the purchase the Schweser study material. Would these be redundant?

Also, I was planning to register for the exam later since I plan to give it in June 2017. Will it be wise to purchase Schweser study material now and again receive the course ebooks after registration?

Thanks

Poulami

So you have to get the CFAI curriculum and that should be viewed as a sunk cost. The third party materials (Schweser) contain the same material and topics but most people get them anyway since it’s more condensed and highlights topics more likely to be tested. You do not have to get third party material - I know a handful of people who used the CFAI material exclusively - but there’s just a ton of reading in the CFAI books and the Schweser material will summarize / condense it a bit.

What I did, and what I think is most common, was a combination of the two resources. I got the Schweser Notes package for around $600. This includes the Notes books, the Q Bank with a few thousand practice questions and three full mock exams. Any sections I was unclear on, I’d go read the CFAI material on because maybe it was explained in a way that made more sense to me. Also - the CFAI end of chapter questions and the mock exam (available through the website) are the closest thing to questions on the actual exam and you should definitely take advantage of it.

I’d recommend you plan on putting in 300 hours of study time, of which (at least) the last 100 hours should all be QBank, mock exams and reviews. Whether you start now or later is up to you! Whatever works for your schedule. I personally preferred to hit the books very hard in the months leading up to the exam which allowed me to relax for most of the year. But again, it’s personal preference.