Studying for JUN 2017 exam with 2016 books

Hello,

Simple question, is it safe to study for June 2017 exame with books from previous years?

Thanks in advance

I think that there is "core"material that will jot change from year to year, so yes. That being said, the 2016 material will lack any 2017 additions obviously…still, I think that one could pass with the core material only. I am also sitting for level I so I really don’t know for sure - this is my impression.

#NoProblemoRicardo

once you register for the exam, you will get a whole new set of books anyway…

sometimes the changes can be very significant, like 2015, there were 6 topics under fixed income in 2014 for level 2, 5 were removed, and 4 new topics were added.

You will be fine. Learning the core concepts is the important part anyway

I wouldn’t rely on old books- maybe an old formula sheet or 11th hour/secret sauce at most. If you’re going to take the time to do the program, do it right and use current materials. if money is a problem, check to see if your local society does any scholarships.

Just find a spreadsheet that compares LOSs and avoid the obsolete readings, easy peasy. Did it for level I

I passed the 2016 level II exam with the 2014 books and videos (back when they were on CD (are they still?)) (Schweser) that a co-worker gave me after he passed (i failed 2015 level 2 exam).

I looked at the the spreadsheets over the previous 2 years outlining the changes, and made a new list of what 2014 material was relevant and what was not.

I simply filled in the gaps with the CFAI curriculum (for instance, I used the CFAI material to study the Portfolio management section).

Is it the best way? no. But it can work!

It seems quant and econ have been the two areas which have not changed much at all in recent years in any way, so those could be areas you could safely focus on until you get the '17 curriculum, which is available now. I did notice the '17 Econ had some changes this year, however. That all said, it’s certainly not a waste of your time to learn the '16 curriculum!! Best of luck