To start studying for L2 whilst waiting for L1 results?

Hi all,

Would appreciate your humble opinion on whether I should start studying for L2 whilst waiting for my L1 results at the end of January. Felt I did decent in the exam, but it’s hard to know if I passed overall since the CFA exam isn’t exactly like a uni exam where you only need 50% to pass.

The reason I’d like to start early is due to the difficulty of the level 2 exam, giving myself as much time as possible to prepare. I guess on the flip side, if I do happen to fail L1 could have possibly wasted a bit of time and money since I am contemplating on purchasing Wiley as part of my level 2 prep.

I am planning to start preparing for level 2 in a week’s time. It’s better to study and be positive than wait and feel bad later for not having sufficient time.

I am gonna use curriculum ( examples and etc)and schweser along with IFT videos.

That’s what I’m thinking as well, better to be prepared for an opportunity that may come up, then for the opportunity to come up and to not be prepared at all.

How are you able to get your hands on CFA curriculum without being enrolled for L2?

Yea…this is a bad idea in my opinion. Don’t stress. I started studying for CFA L2 in March and passed just fine in June. I was studying for CAIA L2 from Jan-March. Did a little overlap but did 95% of L2 studying from March to June. Starting in December for any June CFA exam seems like overkill to me.

3 month fulltime study or beside job?

^Beside full time job in private equity. If you want to study, you’ll find the time.

I’m confident enough in my performance on the exam this past Saturday that I will start studying before exam results are released. With that said, my plans are to take off the rest of December, enjoy the rest of the holidays, and then start fresh in January. Since I’ll be unable to access the Institute’s curriculum at that time, I’ll be purchasing a Wiley package to get me started. Best of luck to you!

@Ramos4rm I appreciate this insight, thank you! I too have felt a little under pressure to start “sooner rather than later” given the “horror stories” associated with L2 prep compared to L1.

Last year I had started lightly about NY while waiting for results. There is some Schweser jump mode offering some kind of L2 first two books by trial without purchase. This trial ends by beginning of February and you will know your results until there. IMO, overkill will rather be if you start later, not sooner. L2 material is quite more challenging than L1.

I would absolutely start studying sooner, rather than later. Your experience may vary, but I found waiting until the results came out put me behind the 8 ball to start. level 2 definitely is a different beast, and it can be overwhelming. If you are confident in your study process and dicipline, you certainly can wait, but imo you are taking a risk. Retaking level 2 (or any level, i guess) is no fun.

Is January a sensible time to begin studying in your opinion?

^Yes.

I Already started studying for level 2. If I receive a pass in January, then by that time I would have covered at least 3 books of level 2 already. In case I dont, then at least I learn something new lol

Thank you! I already glanced at the readings within the L2 curriculum and it looks vastly more applicative in nature than the L1 material. I’m excited!

Thanks for all for your words of wisdom, sincerely appreciate it. I have decided to purchase the silver level 2 package and start preparing when my books arrive. Which will hopefully be next week as they state 4-6 business days for international shipping.

I think that you just have to be through the material, with periodic review as you go, by mid-April to be well positioned to pass Level II. Spreading this out over a longer time may be better but it may also risk burnout. You know yourself best.

I have L2 Schweser 2016. Do I need to get 2017 ones?

There’s been changes to the curriculum from last year, so best to get 2017 I reckon.

I got the Kickoff Schweser Level 2 stuff and there are no major curriculum changes. So 2016 materials are pretty fine!

Another question, would it be okay if I use 2014 CFAII textbook to study? I’m waiting for the result from Dec too. So nervous right now.