June or December 2017?

Hi All,

I’m considering taking the level 1 exam this year but first wanted to gain perspective on how many hours (on average) of exam prep is required for the level 1 exam?

I work a 10 hour day so need to realistically gauge study time if I were to register today to take the exam in June vs. Dec.

Any insight would be most appreciated!!

300hrs is about right. Some people will say 100hrs, some people will say 500hrs.

Put in 300hrs and you will pass.

300 hours, they say, but it will depend on what knowledge and experience you already have. If you have a degree in accounting and work in investment management, you’d likely get through it quicker. If you have a degree in Ancient Greek and work as a gardener you will likely need a lot more time.

Agreed with both Pokhim and Crito. Depends on your background, if you’re already working within some facet of finance, you could get by with less than 300 hours. If you’re not, you’d definitely need more and would probably be better of deferring to December 2017. You can totally pull off the June exam working 10 hours/day if you’re disciplined and organized in your studying/preparation. Put together a schedule detailing every week between now and exam week and stick to it.

June. The sooner you start, the sooner you’re going to finish it.

Thanks - see I missed mentioning that I do have finance background and work in the field so looks like June is feasible.

Just make time the last week to review and take mock tests. Try to take time off that week and definitely don’t work the Friday before the exam. Ethics is more tricky than it seems. Review it periodically.