Economics 70-80%

All, I am feeling overwhelmed with the amount of reading we need to cover on economics…and now thinking of targeting 70-80% score on this I know they can ask questions from anywhere between the first and last page of the text, but is there any material, skipping which, will have minimal damage on my score Really worried I wont be able to retain anything if I try to gobble everything As always, many thanks for any feedback/thoughts A

I think you should try to learn everything. There is still enough time left before the exam, you can do it!

Do not trip Economics, I know exactly how you feel. It is worth only 10% of the exam and has 15 Readings, so you can imagine just how many details they could get into. My honest opinion about that section is this. Since the Econ part is worth 10% of the overall, its 24 questions that are going to be asked. I am going to assume that at least half are somewhat straightforward, knowing deflationary gap, inflationary gap etc, probably another 6 - 8 questions are going to be somewhat more challenging, and I am sure 4 to 6 will be ridiculous nitpicky things which very few people will remember. Don’t listen to amorris7, you CAN learn everything, that is feasible, but in order to do well you need to develop some test taking strategies. FRA is worth 20% and Fixed Income and Equity Combined is worth 22%, Volume 4 consists of Corporate Finance and Portfolio Mangement and is very short and is worth 13%, I would definitely not get carried away trying to “learn everything” because you will not remember the details. Best of Luck.

I was trying to be positive because I didn’t want him to just give up on a section, but BruinBanker does make a good point. Obviously you should prioritize your focus to the topics that are worth more.

You can register with elan and get this for free:) in one day or so they send it to you: http://www.elanguides.com/free-econ.php It covers everything you need to know, so you won’t skip useful info, and it cuts the reading amount in half. Get this, and continue reading from where you were left in the CFAI books. Elan’s econ book is awsome, honestly, much better than Schweser, and they give it away for free for some reason.

thanks a lot guys…definitely some very good pointers…

I just finished econ from schweser and i wish i had used elan’ s econ for this ( just used it when i had problem understanding the schweser text) i know how youre feeling with econ. My strategy is to know the material enough so that if i cant answer the question, at least i can eliminate one choice and select randomly one of the other two options.

simply brilliant!!! my first reaction after laying my hands on the elan’s econ…Thank GOD somethings money can’t buy… Andreea_Mn - I cant thank you enough for recommending elan for economics

The Secret Sauce is very good for Econ as well.

I’m getting 90+% on Econ now. Pretty confident on this section so far. Corporate Finance snuck up on me. CFAI’s got some long corporate finance problems with all kinds of ways to calculate WACC. Gotta nail that section. I wonder if the actual exam will have problems this long for cost of capital.

Those using the schweser qbank to review the topics just completed… does this come in the form of a cd? or do you have to log in online and do the questions?

allegro-cpa/cfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m getting 90+% on Econ now. Pretty confident on > this section so far. Corporate Finance snuck up > on me. CFAI’s got some long corporate finance > problems with all kinds of ways to calculate WACC. > Gotta nail that section. I wonder if the actual > exam will have problems this long for cost of > capital. You need to know corporate finance cold. Once you have it, you will nail it. They can be cheap points and at the same time can be frustrating. It is too cheap to just let go.

L1 is easy, you have plenty of time until December. It’s not time to panic yet. Just keep at it

abhijitc4u Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All, I am feeling overwhelmed with the amount of > reading we need to cover on economics…and now > thinking of targeting 70-80% score on this > > I know they can ask questions from anywhere > between the first and last page of the text, but > is there any material, skipping which, will have > minimal damage on my score > > Really worried I wont be able to retain anything > if I try to gobble everything > > As always, many thanks for any feedback/thoughts > Here is the deal. If you try to learn everything in Macroeconomics you will most likely to crazy because it doesn’t have a good logical framework. So my advice would be to try to understand most of the materials from Elasticity to Markets for Factors of Production (the Microeconomics bit) and read summaries for Monitoring Jobs and the Price Level to Overview of Central Banks (the Macroeconomics portion). > A

Econ sux…