BA II Plus Calculator

This is something basic, but thought of clarifying. Can anybody suggest me where can I grab extra new batteries for this calc? or should I buy a new calc and keep it as a spare. I am appearing in Dec. Thanks

Radio Shack would be a good bet. A lot of people bring backup calculators; I just bring extra batteries.

Don’t forget to bring a screw driver. I just picked up an older version of the BA II plus on ebay. The older models have a slide off cap for the battery. I hope the older models are still allowed. any ideas?

I’m not too savvy with the calculator, but you should know how to play with the settings. I THINK that if the batteries are changed the calc settings revert to factory defaults, which might be different that what you’re used to.

Going off what beatthecfa said… Once you change the batteries, the calculator will reset. Once it resets you will need to reset your P/Y key to “1” by doing: [2nd] [P/Y] “1” [ENTER] [2nd] [QUIT] The factory settings have P/Y set to 12 which converts the annual interest rate (I/Y) into monthly rates which is not what you want for most TVM problems.

just buy a second calculator or borrow one. Do you really want to be changing batteries and taking your calculator apart during the exam? buy 2, set them to your settings, if one dies, just start using the second one.

Has anyone heard of anyone’s batteries dying in the middle of their exam?

rangediddy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Has anyone heard of anyone’s batteries dying in > the middle of their exam? Back in 1993, someone’s calculator battery ran out and they didn’t have any backup. The person got completely panicked/enraged, gripped their calculator in their hand and began to bludgeon the nearest fellow test-taker. That test taker later died in what is now commonly referred to among CFA candidates as the “Great Negative NPV Transaction” (he paid to take the exam and the return on his investment was death). I suggest you bring at least 2 back-up calculators (1 BA II Plus and 1 HP) and an extra set of batteries for both.

prophets Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > rangediddy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Has anyone heard of anyone’s batteries dying in > > the middle of their exam? > > > Back in 1993, someone’s calculator battery ran out > and they didn’t have any backup. The person got > completely panicked/enraged, gripped their > calculator in their hand and began to bludgeon the > nearest fellow test-taker. That test taker later > died in what is now commonly referred to among CFA > candidates as the “Great Negative NPV Transaction” > (he paid to take the exam and the return on his > investment was death). > > I suggest you bring at least 2 back-up calculators > (1 BA II Plus and 1 HP) and an extra set of > batteries for both. You made my day.

Take my advice and get a backup calc. I got extremely lucky on exam day last june. I only had 1 calc, stepped out of my car, dropped it and shattered the screen. Luckily someone loaned me an extra calc they had…i passed but would have been screwed if someone didnt feel very kind that day. I’ll definitely be bringin a second one this time.

Ok guys…I have ordered a new one…Thanks!

waste of money IMO to buy an extra calculator. if you can borrow one do that but otherwise just put in fresh batteries the day before the test. bring an extra set of batteries if it makes you feel better. i think people worry too much about extreme situations

I had this guy bring in three calculators at my Level I. I asked him if he would do each question on all three before marking down an answer. He didn’t like that too much, but the folks around me sure appreciated the humor.

BryGuy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > waste of money IMO to buy an extra calculator. if > you can borrow one do that but otherwise just put > in fresh batteries the day before the test. bring > an extra set of batteries if it makes you feel > better. i think people worry too much about > extreme situations Really??? $30 to have an extra?

BryGuy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > put in fresh batteries the day before the test. this is exactly what I am doing

CFAcountry Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BryGuy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > waste of money IMO to buy an extra calculator. > if > > you can borrow one do that but otherwise just > put > > in fresh batteries the day before the test. > bring > > an extra set of batteries if it makes you feel > > better. i think people worry too much about > > extreme situations > > > Really??? $30 to have an extra? If it gives you peace of mind then I suppose it is worth it. On the other hand, I will just put in a new pair of batteries next week and spend the other $29 at the bar after the exam.

^^^^ A new battery (not a pair) but you know what I mean.

how do you change the battery? I unscrewed the calculator but couldn’t take the cover off.

how old is your Calc? I know someone who earned the charter 3 years back and has till date never replaced the batteries. So that’s like 6 years of battery life. You may consider taking extra batteries if you have hired someone pressing the calculator keys 24*7. So much of drama

My calc is about 6 years old…I had got it from my friend who had used it…