Hardest topic in Level 1

What’s everybody’s hardest topic that they have the most trouble with? I think mine is leases - absolutely hate 'em.

I wrote a set of articles on leases that may be of some help, starting here: http://financialexamhelp123.com/leases-general/.

Most difficult topic areas are in Econ and FRA for me. I’m worried about these two.

Haven’t found anything too conceptually challenging on its own, but it will definitely take some more time to get all the components of Econ sorted out in my mind haha

Deferred taxes for me.

In my humble opinion, if econ is the only thing you’re really struggling with at this stage, just try and grasp the ‘big picture’. Econ is 8% of the L1 exam (I believe), but somewhere around 15%+ of the L1 reading material (or something absurd like that). You’re better off mastering the bigger topic-weighted areas (FRA, Equity, Fixed Income, and Ethics). There’s too much in econ to worry about the minutiae. When I was going through L1 last year, the way I prepared for econ was doing practice problems, then reading & understanding the answers when grading.

The gist of my point is, if econ is your only struggle… don’t worry about it.

Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated. I’ll try not to stress too much about it and get some practice through questions

Perhaps this article I wrote will help: http://financialexamhelp123.com/dtas-and-dtls-how-to-keep-them-straight/.

Looking back at the exam, I thought leases and defferred taxes where probably one of the more difficult areas. I completely skipped the Derivatives section as I ran out of time though was fortunate enough to pass the exam

Yeah apparently a lot of people do that. IMO derivatives is pretty easy so I wouldn’t dream of skipping it lol

S2000 - Have you got a bot for your account? Here’s a test: “I struggle with Bond Equivalent Yield”

I don’t even know what that means.

Do you, in fact, struggle with this?

Meant to ask actually what is the difference between bond equivalent yield and equivalent annual yield?

A “bot” is a computer script designed to automatically respond to a post directed at the bot’s account (in this case, it would be you)

I’m pretty sure that my website is bot-free.

But perhaps I can remedy that.

It was just a jab at the fact your posts replied to those guys almost automatically with links to the right pages. I was insinuating that you had a script running to respond to posters with links to your site, like a spambot. I suspect edupristine is a bot of some sort based on some of their replies. Nothing meant by it, your site is very useful.

In that case, I do have a bot. His name is Bill.

I think I’m maybe 54/63 assigned readings done. So far I’ve skipped Hypothesis testing, bond valuation, 2nd part of portfolio management, and now I’m wrestling with derivatives. The derivs section doesn’t look easy but miracles can happen within a few weeks.

I think the hardest topics depend upon the person to person . It varies with their backround and experience. Generally speaking leases is one topic which is tougher one.

^Another gem.