Which topic to start with

Hi,

I know i am starting a bit late but i want to give my best shot for Dec L1 exam.

Can anyone suggest which topic i should start with. I already have some experience in derivatives and + it constitutes a very small section as far as exam goes so i dont think that would be a wise option.

How about Fianancial Reporting?

Looking forward for your replies

Thanks

Why not go in order? Start with Ethics.

Start with the section right after Ethics and go through the curriculum in order after that. Do Ethics last.

Start with Ethics

^ Only if you want to fall asleep while reading and get demoralized right off the bat.

^Lol, it helps you to ease into the material and to quickly put something behind you. At least for me, quickly reading ethics and then easily answering questions helped me feel like I had made some progress right out the box and kept me going.

Edit: Maybe I’m wierd but I like ethics and immediately recognized it as free points/confidence booster, but at the end of the day it doesnt really matter, pick up the books and read something.

Aye, I can see to each their own. For me, it took a month to get through ethics the first time because of the seemingly endless “drone” of material. I didn’t even read it for levels 2 & 3; twas all the same.

If you are really fresh in finance, you should start with quantitative finance. From there, you learn PV, FV and have to apply them later in equities, bonds etc…

Ethics can be slotted at any time since its more of reading than calculation wise. In fact, I read ethics last. Other than that, I think reading the books in order is the most logical.

Thanks for your replies guys.

After going thru the list of topics covered udner Ethics ,i think it would be better for me to keep touching it in between other major areas.

I frankly feel going through entire Ethics at one go will simply doze me off.

I agree with you sachin2807 ethics should be done in between major topics/ last, i would suggest if you are from maths background go for quant and equity research kind of topic and if you have accounting experience FRA would be the ideal choice for you. If no experience beforehand with the curriculum i would suggest start picking small sections that would boost your confidence as you will get more topics covered.

Start with Ethics…and then re-read Ethics the week prior to the exam.

Yes, i am from engineering background and pretty good (as far as i know :slight_smile: ) in quant and stuff.

I have started with Derivatives section since it was quite familiar to me and almost finished it.

I am planning to pick up Fin Reporting next as that is the topic which is giving me the maximum jitters.

Start with your weakest topic.

IMO, leave Ethics last, as it is very plain with a predictable timetable.

This will give you more flexibility to adjust the time you have left based on how quick you finish the hardest topics first. And you get to revise Ethics last in the second go before the exam.