Studying via the question bank

I once spoke to someone who had completed the CFA and he recommended to study via the question bank and learn the material via the questions and not necessarily reading the materials that much.

This got me thinking since as I looked at the Schweser QB, the questions were all broken down in detail by the topics and then the LOS’s I believe. I was wondering what do you guys think of a study strategy where I skip out (at least initially) on reading the notes (Schweser, no intention of reading the CFAI materials except for ethics) and then just work through the questions and learning the material that way?

And then if I run into something I really don’t understand, I can go into the books to read up on it.

I know that I run the risk of only covering the stuff in the questions, however due to the extent of the curriculum I doubt I’d remember that much of the books anyway. As I did an undergraduate degree in finance with some economics and now doing an accounting qualification, most of the material is at least on a superficial level familiar to me.

Anyway, just a wild idea and wanted to see what others think of such an approach or if anyone’s used it.

I did it for L1 and it was overkill I thought but definitely prepared me extremely well, I probably did 90% of the question bank lol. But I also skimmed through Schweser I think that’s important as well to just give you a broad understanding of the topics.

Contact me if you can…