capital lease question

You are currently reviewing the following information for JKL Corp.:

Starting date of lease: Jan 1st, 2002

Annual year-end lease payments: $32,000

Term of Lease: 5 years

Buy-back value at end of term: $55,000

Interest rate implicit on lease: 11%

Interest rate on company’s general debt: 13%

If the company uses the capitalized lease method of accounting, what would be the interest expense during the second year of the inception of the lease?

(a) $14,490 (b) $15,750 © $14,906

The correct answer is A. I keep ending up at C. Can someone please explain? Thanks

I get C as well.

Do they have an explanation?

Answer and question posted here: http://www.investopedia.com/professionals/questionoftheweek/cfa/062006.asp

So the correct answer is $14,906, as we both got.

Apparently there was something wonky with the original answer choices given; they don’t match (in order) those given in FratBoy’s link.

Is there an easier way besides building a table?

Nope.

(Of course, here you really need only the first row of the table to get the balance at the end of year 1, then compute the interest on that. Nevertheless, it’s still a table.)

Wow that is crazy. This was really driving me nuts, I was up half the night trying to figure it out. It said the answer was A and showed the math as

Interest Expense = (Book Value of Capitalized Lease at beginning of period) x (Effective Interest Rate)

$131,727 * 11% = $14,490

Aside from building the table, couldn’t you just use the financial calculator to scroll through the amortization table to the second payment? I got the same answer doing this, and by finding the PV of the lease with 4 years remaining, then calculating interest off of the PV at the end of the first year (beginning second year).

FV= 55000

PMT= 32000

PV=?

I= 11%

N=4

—> PV*.11= interest in year 2

-OR-

Use the same inputs, except N=5, then use the amortization table for period 2.

Yes you could definitely do either of those things as opposed to making a table. I used the amortization function in the financial calculator. It really pays to know how to use that thing.

Wow, thanks. That was really helpful.

The more you know… laugh

Good point.

I took a real estate course and a financial statement analysis course, both of which helped me figure out these tricks from similar problem types. Glad I could help!

I should have thought of that sooner: it’s so obvious.

Thanks again!