Taking notes vs. Highlight and reread

I’m studying for the level I test in June. With the amount of material to cover I’m curious if others take notes or use third party notes, highlight, and just read the material multiple times.

I found that writing my own notecards (several times) solidified my recall far better than mere highlighting.

I take notes, and review those

Everyone studies differently. I have been writing notes, but I never refer back to them. In fact, I have a stack of 6 used notebooks that I will ceremoniously burn after the exam in a spectacular bonfire. I have read the material so many times, I know exactly where to look for the answer in the book.

I find the best way to retain the information is being able to recite on demand. What are the required disclosures for inventory, PP&E, debt and leasing arrangements? Boom I can tell you. How is the CML & SML constructed and the what are the interpretations? Got it. Just passively reading and highlighing is not enough - for me atleast.

There’s a LOT of evidence by education researchers that highlighting is the LEAST effectve means of studying - it’s essentially passive. Whether it’s taking notes or Fratboy’s recite on demand, you have to actually engage with the material. One of the reasons taking notes works is that you have to make choices as to what’s important and what’s not. That act alone (even without rereading those notes) will aid retention.

I think taking notes is the best way, and I started each prep with that. However, with about two months to go, I started just highlighting as I’d never finish writing things out.

I used to take notes on paper but I wasn’t disciplined enough to stop studying and review. Now I take notes on computer flashcards, maybe about 30-50 per reading. The software prompts me when to review based on how well I remembered last time. Takes up to 30 mins each morning and then the rest of my free time can be study of new material. Perfect for me.

Geo - I was talking about the “best” approach in a perfect world. Of course, when you;re time constrained, there are always trade-offs.

I appreciate the input. Im currently using Kaplan and have been highlighting as I go and taking notes when I review that material again. I should have access to the cfa e book next week where a highlighter will be out of the question. So I will probably use both methods as I go back and forth through the material.

The e book as higherlighters… doesn’t feel the same but it has them

exactly. you have to engage. take notes, read the words in your mind, tape them to your walls, bathe with it, read it on the toilet, take it to dinner, sleep with it under your pillow, rub it all over your body, make love to it.

I have ink marks all over me right now, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to explain the various marks to my girlfriend.

I underline and ake notes the first time around (in the margins of the book).

Then I go back and type up all notes and formulas in LyX (condenses to about 250 pages).

This makes practice questions and reveiw super easy.

I highlight…and then go back and read the highlights.

1 Like