Failed L1 in Dec 2013. Need a strategy to pass June 2015.

Hi all,

I will pass the June/15 session but I need some help from you folks. With the first test, I was working a full time job, was recovering from a concussion, was very stupid at the time, and was taking 3 classes at university. I ended up with a band 6 the first time. How do I pass my second try? What topics should I read in order? How many hrs should I dedicate? Should I still use Schweser '13 books or buy the '15 books? What has changed on the exam since I wrote it? What strategy should I use to pass this time?

My first study session involved reading Schweser once, doing all the questions, and then the CFAI questions. I did a lot of front end work (probably 150 hrs), but was unable to review because of all my commitments until a week and a half before the exam. I had forgot a lot of the material by the time it came review time.

Brad

I failed level-I (band 7) my first attempt as well. I also didn’t review the week before the exam and only managed about 125 hours.

I finally decided to take the exam as serious as it demands. The difference between a band 6 fail and a pass is probably 100 hours of study.

Do the CFAI material this time, do all of the EOC questions (twice) take 6 different mock exams. After each mock, review what you missed, study the mock answers and RETAKE the exam and see if you actually managed to retain the information

After 200 hours of study, EOC questions x2, 12 mock exams and reivew. You should pass.

based on this post you will likely fail again.

I think you must analyze all your mistakes and try to do not repeat them. The strat you comment is right, read the books, do not skip nothing, solve EOC question for schewer or other provider and the CFAI questions. Take at least 3 weeks to solve mocks and review the mocks bad answers.

:slight_smile: thanks for the support. What makes you say this?

i also failed before and found not being confident on FRA discouraging while going through the test because their are just a lot of questions from that book and weighted so high. When studying this time around i am really taking my time and working more questions. I am also focusing on books 4 and 5 because covering FRA made me want to rush those books to catch up on my readings.

You have to evaluate what lowered your retention on certain areas and go for it. I am also going to do 3 open book mocks and 3 closed book mocks. Last time i just did 3 closed book mocks and didnt realize as much benefit i think if i would have just done a couple open book to validate where i am weak and strong.

you need to have a plan, execute the plan, and pop the champagne when you succeed.

and do tons of practice problems