Structuring the prep: Reading / EOC Qs / Qbank

Hi - using Schweser to study for LI and just have a few Qs to CFAs in terms of structuring the prep best:

1. Would you read each reading and then do both the EOC questions OR only do the EOCs questions after eack topic?

2. Would you read the answer after every question instantly?

3. When would you start using the Qbank - after each reading or topic or after having read all topics?

4. Would you do the Schweser mocks before or after the Qbank?

Tx

I don’t think it is a life changing (or exam outcome changing) question which one you do first, Just do the questions, that is important and make sure you understand them.

One thing I found helpful in the past though (but this is just a personal preference) was using the EOC questions as a guide or motivation throughout the reading of the chapter. That is, before even reading one line in the chapter I read the first question from EOC, and then continued reading until I was able to answer that question. I found that approach helpful being more focused when reading the material.

In general don’t save questions for some time in the future, do the questions asap because they are an essential part of the learning process for the CFA (and in general), I think everyone in the forum will agree.

ok - anyone else specifically on the questions? tx

The poster ahead is really correct - this is all personal preference but I’ll share what worked for me.

1. After each topic, re-read if you don’t understand something.

2. I always read the answers immediately on Schweser QBank for just cranking through questions. The closer you get to exam time though, you should do your best to simulate exam conditions (ie, set QBank to 120 questions without instant answers / explanations) to make sure you are budgeting your time appropriately. Reading solutions will obviously slow you down.

3. I did this after completing all of the reading and set it to cover all topics (better simulated the actual exam with a mix of topics).

4. Definitely after. The mocks are the best “capstone” practice material so I only did those after I was very comfortable with QBank and the material covered. Do the Schweser mocks then the CFAI mock.

I’m in the same boat as you (preparing for L1 with Schweser’s study material). My belief is that it’s optimal to practice after you’ve read your notes (on a per reading basis). This ensures you understand what you’ve read and know how to apply theory to practice. Do however review previous topics to keep things fresh.

My approach is the following:

1. After a Reading, do the CFAI ‘EoC’ questions (which are categorized per Reading) paired with a QBank quiz. This way you combine theory and practice on a more detailled level and know whether to reread some concepts or move on.

2. After each Study Session or Topic Area, do another QBank quiz to see if you can recall the material and score consistently. Optional: Additionally do the Self-Test in the Schweser Notes.

As you can see, I intend to use the QBank during my studies, rather than do lots of questions after I’m done with the entire reading (which I’ll probably still do). For the latter, I think mocks are more suitable. For the QBank, I tick the option to immediately show answer and explanation (which is more effective since rereading the question and answer after doing a large set is time consuming).