Mock and Topic Test Scores

Hello all,

I hope everyone is studying hard. I recently completed all the CFA mock and topic tests and I was hoping to get some feedback regarding whether of not I am in a good position for December. After taking a few months off of studying I completed the CFA mock exam scoring 61% without any review of the material for about two months. After the mock I started reviewing and went through each of the topic tests. These are not ‘best of’ scores, I have only completed each topic test once. Score(weight)

Alternative Investments 95(0.04) = 3.8

Corporate Finance 87(0.07) = 6.09

Derivatives 95(0.05) = 4.75

Economics 50(0.1) = 5

Equity Investments 77(0.1) = 7.7

Ethical & Professional Standards 83(0.15) = 12.45

Financial Reporting & Analysis 78(0.2) = 15.6

Fixed Income Investments 83(0.1) = 8.3

Portfolio Management 85(0.07) = 5.95

Quantitative Methods 80(0.12) = 9.6

Total = 79.24%

Obviously Econ needs some work and I would like to be hitting a consistent 80% in FRA leading up to the exam. I am operating under two assumptions. First, I am hoping that scoring a 70% and the actual exam (without failing ethics) is an automatic pass. Second, the consensus on AF seems to be that the CFA mocks and topic tests contain the most challenging questions and provide the most accurate prediction of actual exam performance. I am hoping to take another mock next week and am aiming to score 65-70%, From what I have been able to gather scoring 65-70 percent on the CFA mocks seems to put candidates in a consistently strong position to pass the actual exam. Thoughts and feedback are welcome

Good luck studying!

Hi there,

You have scored really well. It looks like you are in a good position. When you repeat Topic Tests and Mock on CFA Institute website, some questions will repeat which you have previously done in Mock / Topic Tests. But Topic Tests and Mock on CFA Institute website are very useful way to practice.

Good Luck.

You’re in good shape. Improving 10-15% over the next couple months is pretty likely, so keep at it. The key is to do as much “recall” activities (answering problems, flash cards, etc…) as you can. Don’t just re-read stuff – make it active recall.