Tips For Surviving Afternoon Session?

Hey everyone!

What’s everyone’s plan for doing well in the afternoon session, or if you wrote the exam before what tips do you have?

I’ve only done 1 full length exam so far, but have done many half exams, would you recommend I do another full length exam or 2 before the exam day?

Thanks

Take a packed lunch (something that will stay fresh after leaving it in your bag from 6 am until 1 pm) or buy something similar before the morning session. Dose appropriately on your caffeinated beverage of choice before the morning session, and if needed grab a top up before the afternoon session. Relax and avoid the impulse to rush and study from your notes over your lunch break. It’s too late to learn anything meaningful, and besides, you don’t know what is on the afternoon exam. Give yourself time and space away from the crowds, and ample time to visit the bathrooms, because those will get VERY crowded. Practice as many full-time exams as you can under real exam conditions, it does help manage your expectations.

And best of luck!

Packed lunch was definitely part of the plan, no idea what will be around at the testing center and I’m too frugal to buy lunch out.

Was planning on just 1 coffee before the morning exam, and a caffeine pill immediately before the afternoon exam so it kicks in while I’m writing (as per my normal exam strategy).

I’ve practiced many half exams so I think I know what to expect, only reason I ask if I should take more full length is because of getting used to the concept of a 6 hour exam. I just don’t like taking full length exams because it A) takes most of a day of normal studying away B) I find I don’t learn as much since I have to sift through 240 questions and figure out what my thought process was in the moment, so I can correct my errors. In a half exam, I can immediately look over my 120 questions and find out what I need to correct and I learn a lot that way.

Thanks for the tips!

Also, do you know what the policy is with clothing? They say to wear layers that you can zip up, but if I wear a sweater and light jacket will I be able to take off the jacket if I get too warm?

I wrote it once before in toronto. I brought a big sandwich and some fruit with some water for lunch. I would wear a longsleeve shirt and you can bring a hoodie in if you want to. Also I wouldnt worry too much about the washroom situation as there is a massive washroom connected right to the exam room and you can go anytime you want including the hour long setup before the exam begins. The exam conditions are actually pretty comfortable. And i did two length full exams and im going to the CFA1 tomorrow, but i agree it takes forever to go through 240 questions.

Does “Anytime” include during the exam? Haven’t been able to find out anywhere if you’re allowed washroom breaks if needed. Writing in Toronto a week today, So if you have any pro-tips about the day of please do share :slight_smile:

Yes, you can use the bathroom during the exam. Just raise your hand and the proctor will take your materials and return them once you get back.

I only have experience with Boston test centers (and they changed each year) but there were some years where the bathroom situation was a total nightmare before the exam. The men’s room lines were over a 100 people long, so if you can try to take care of it beforehand. For that reason I avoided a lot of caffeine before the morning session. I usually drank a Red Bull during lunch.

For Level 1 and 2 I rarely did 6 hour timed mocks. I found that on exam day the adrenaline was more than enough to get me through. This may not apply to everyone but on all the multiple choice sessions three hours was more than enough time. I usually finished in 2-2.5 hours. Once you get over the initial wave of “holy crap, this is it”, my experience was that of long stretches of total focus. Assuming you’ve prepared enough, that is.

Good luck!

regarding full exam yes i suggest you to do it as much as possible, you trained your brain to stay focus and concentrate for 3h. 6h isn’t the same story, it’s like a marathon so train yourself with 6h exam now

Marathon runners do not train the full 26.2 miles. They rely on adrenaline to get them through the race.

(Not saying it’s a bad thing to practice under exam conditions, obviously, but your metaphor does not work.)

Hum what i meant it’s doing a semi marathon and a marathon isn’t the same thing. It’s not because you can run a semi-marathon that you’re able to finish marathon. Sorry I wasn’t clear !

Well I share a similar situation as ltj, where the adrenaline will easily get me to focus throughout the second exam part. From past experience it has, and it definitely will on a test of this caliber.

So I just finished a schweser volume 2 mock and got a 72.5, having an internal debate as to whether I should take a break and write the next one in 2 hours, correct this one and write another mock in a few hours after that, or just do in depth studying on the material I lost marks on. Any suggestions?

In my opinion just keep doing more and more mocks.Dont’'t let the momentum slow down.The inertia of constantly doing mocks will get you past the finish line.

Shaz, my worry with that is ill be too used to schweser questions and not as prepared based on topic test material. I love doing schweser tests and do generally really well on them, but im not the best at topic tests and my only cfai mock was a 70.

I just hate doing tests online instead of in writing, I think that might be why I struggle when it comes to doing non schweser or eoc questions.

I took the June one, and would say packed lunch is the best choice. I’m thinking this time I will try to finish my lunch fast and take advantage of short-time memorizing before PM starts.

Really? What would you plan on memorizing? My lunch plan as of right now seems to be eating a lunch packed by my beloved mother, scavenging for a coffee, and watching twitch streams to take my mind off exam panic.

Did many other people study on the break when you wrote the first time?

Try to minimize stress during the break. Bring a lunch, don’t bother studying, and in general, try to chill out. Close your eyes, put some music on your phone, and zone out. Meditate if you can. Take a walk. Make a phone call. read something that makes you laugh.

So you’re telling me to read a list of my accomplishments thus far? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have my own memorizing sheets, mainly cover FRA part and answers that need to be memorized. Do whichever is best for your mind. smiley

Hmm, I’m assuming GAAP vs IFRS stuff, and some troublesome ratios? My flash cards for gaap and ifrs are on a keyring basically attached to my body at this point ahah

TONS of people were cramming before the morning and afternoon sessions in my test centers. I personally never did.

As busprof stated I found it more useful to enjoy the downtime, eat lunch slowly, meditate, sit outside in the sun. All my exams were in June so I was fortunate enough to enjoy some nice weather.