L1 Econ and suggested "prerequisite" reading?

For the June exam the CFA website suggests a “prerequisite” reading, which appears to be the 2011 Economics text. In looking through this, there appears to be significant overlap between the prerequisite reading and the current (2017) reading. Thinking it might be a waste of my time to wade through the same material twice, assuming I don’t have any problems with the current material? I’ve reached out to CFA1 but they don’t seem to be interpreting my question based on their replies.

I think jumping straight into the 2017 curriculum reading is more than fine.

Without the prerequisite reading, if you are still able to successfully work the blue box questions and the EOC questions then you should be fine.

Just follow the CFA 2017 curriculum. If you don’t understand anything, you can always google it up and / or refer to other books for clarification or post it here.

To help, Wiley’s CFA Exam Review team is making available for free three key readings containing over 80+ pages of study text and a dozen video lectures totally 9+ hours of instruction. Delivered by CFA® experts, you’ll learn:

• Demand and Supply Analysis: Introduction
  • Demand and Supply Analysis: Consumer Demand
  • Demand and Supply Analysis: The Firm

These resources provide an introduction to fundamental microeconomic and macroeconomic concepts relevant to investment management. As a preview of the kind of in-depth instruction you’ll receive, we invite you to enjoy the first video lecture in the series now.

https://www.efficientlearning.com/cfa/resources/prerequisite-economics-readings/

I would recommend to go through those readings as they reflect some important concepts besides the economics - e.g. auction types. As far as I remember, auction pricing was a common question for L1 Exam some years ago.