Ethics - OK to not cite statistical source?

In Schweser’s 2008 study notes, in the anwser to question 10 of the self-test, it says “According to Standard I©, factual data from a recognized statistical reporting service need not be cited.” Question 10 was in reference to data from the Federal Reserve Bulletin. I cannot find any reference to this practice in the CFAI materials. The materials do state, however, that “using charts or graphs without stating their sources” is a violation of Standard I©. Also, for me personally it would not seem OK to not cite a source such as the Fed. Can anybody shed any light on this? Is Schweser mistaken?

no they are not mistaken. this is present in the std IIa and when u mean cfai material - are u reading the sop handbook v 9, 2006 edition as well? cp

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no they are not mistaken. this is present in the > std IIa > > and when u mean cfai material - are u reading the > sop handbook v 9, 2006 edition as well? > > cp was not allowed to edit the message it is I © avoid plagiarism attribute quotations including projections, tables, statistics, and new statistical methodologies to the source (other than recognized financial, statistical reporting services or other sources). CP

You are right. I missed that. Also seemed intuitively wrong to me, since I’ve found statistical sources ARE usually quoted.

I guess the gray area lies in that. You are not wrong if you do not quote. So this is the place where a question would be asked using 2 extremes – xyz co. who is an unkown, and say Standards & Poors. Quote vs. not quote and are they in violation. So this is a NEED TO KNOW from the exam perspective, that not quoting S&P is not a violation.

It defs has it in the CFAI text. You don’t have to reference S&P, Moody’s or anything company like that. I’ll find the page for you

You don’t have to reference as to the use of statistically reported data (the raw numbers), but from my understanding, if you use any representations developed by these sources (eg. charts) you have to quote the source to avoid violating I C (Misrepresentation)