BREAKING NEWS: Schweser Acquires Stalla Assets.

Schweser Acquires Stalla Assets Share |

By Dr. Andrew Temte, CFA - President

Dear CFA Candidate:

Stalla Seminars began business in 1972 under the direction of Robert Stalla with the sole objective of helping candidates pass the CFA® exams and become charterholders. The Stalla brand is known worldwide for quality, service, and support.

On December 2, 2011, DeVry, Inc. – Stalla’s parent company – announced the sale of Stalla’s assets to the Schweser Study Program – an operating unit of the Kaplan University School of Professional and Continuing Education.

Unfortunately, the timing of this transaction will not allow for the transfer of content from the DeVry technology platform to a new delivery mechanism in time for the June 2012 CFA exams. Therefore, Stalla courses and materials will not be available for the June 2012 exam cycle.

We pledge to be good stewards of the Stalla brand and mission, and intend to redeploy the Stalla content on a new platform for the 2013 exam cycle. In the interim, Schweser stands ready to meet all of your 2012 CFA study needs. If you are a previous Stalla student, we will be reaching out to you directly by phone, letter or email over the coming weeks to provide you with personalized service and assist you with this transition.

As a Charterholder, I am grateful for the service that Stalla has provided to CFA candidates throughout the years, and am humbled by the weight of the commitment that we now carry to ensure that the Stalla legacy is fostered and protected. Schweser and Stalla share a common mission – to help CFA candidates succeed and to support investment professionals worldwide. I hope you share my enthusiasm for this change and wish you all the best for the 2012 CFA exams.

Best Regards,

Dr. Andrew Temte, CFA President Kaplan University School of Professional and Continuing Education

For more information, please visit http://bit.ly/rWYDA4

Finally!! CFA candidates will no more debate over what is the best choice (STALLA/SCHWESER) to prepare for the exam :smiley:

I am thinking a price increase is in the works for Kaplan :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s time to break free of the dependency on 3rd party prep providers and really learn the CFAI material the way candidates really should. W

Stalla being sold wasn’t much a surprise to me. I think the only thing Stalla was superior in was their videos. I used both Schweser and Stalla for Level I. The Schweser vids were so brutally boring. However their Qbank was always a bit better than Stalla’s passmaster. I think even if Stalla was still around I would stick to the CFAI material. I borrowed a buddy’s 2011 Level II Schweser notes, and I feel like the CFAI material does a better job of teaching the concepts. Still, I might purchase a few practice exams from Schweser for practice.

What other choices are we left with? Schweser… I am not satisfied. CFAI books… I just get lost in them!

Talk about horizontal mergers lol, on that note, i just purchased the Elan corp finance back. It is simply amazing, i have reviewed the Schweser books but its no match, i hope this is not a psychological thing but I am taking the risk with ELAN!

You might be right. Schweser now almost has a monopoly position in the market for CFA prep materials.

But they have to increase their prices to off set the bootlegging! hahaha If you get lost reading CFAI books, you will get lost on the exam b/c they are just as confusing though they use less words to keep it more mysterious.

Is Peter Olinto out of a job?

From Google search, I get the impression that Peter Olinto’s main focus is the CPA exam, not the CFA.

Peter Olinto needs to come back to CFA world!!!

Was debating Stalla originally for L2 but now that there’s no Peter Olinto for the live classes, I may just do straight CFAI material, but buy extra practice tests.