"Passivation Phenomena" - key to passing L2 in one week

Comments from a guy on a different board that left me speechless (and with a few less brain cells).

Why did I waste three years of my life trying to pass L2 when I could have relied on “Passivation Phenomena.”

Hello Everyone, A few days ago, I posted here after received a PASS for level 2 exam via email. I too excited and disclose that I only have 1 week to prepare the exam. It is not joking, and it is not because I am too confident on myself. It has some reasons. In Q1 this year, the market is very bullish and my personal positions investment raised 40% till Mar. After such a bullish movement, a pullback is predictable. Thus, we took back all my own money, leave all the profit there and take a one month vacation. I planed to study CFA II after come back which is one month before the exam. However, when I came back, my position has been cut in half which is far more than 10-20% loss as I think. This loss put me in a very bad mood, so I have to start to do something to rescue my profit. After everything is done, I realized I only have 1 week to prepare the exam and I still have a full time job to do. Below is my experience for the exam, and I hope it will help some of you. Principle: [What you get is depends on what you think, so here I provide my two principles for the exam.] I. Passivation phenomena. Passivation phenomena exists everywhere, for example, when you look at RSI, you will see passivation in both low and high position. What that mean? Is there any relationship with the grading? Sure, Passivation phenomena exist in everywhere and of course, the exam is not an exception. The grade is based on scale, 50% is a threshold, thus the extremely bad, very bad and bad will almost got the same score. Nobody, nobody who held a certificate exam will put too many credit to differentiate the low scores. Got it? II. Erroneous Perception for accuracy, and margin effect reduce. The items are based on choice, there is only black and while, right and wrong with nothing is the middle. This is, you have 100% confidence to make a right answer only when you have 100% understand to the question! No 90%, no 80%. Let’s do a simple math, if you know nothing, you will have 25% chance to make a right answer. If your level is 80%, OK, you will able to remove 2 wrong choice, but after that, you chance is still only 50%. Any difference? According to principle I, 50% will have almost the same score with 30%. Plus, everybody here knows what’s mean by margin effect reduce. You probably only need a few hours to make yourself have 30% confidence to a LOS, but you have 10x or 100x study hour to make you ability across 50%. Right? 10x study hours, almost same score, is it worth? Situation: I am very familiar with equity analysis, quantitative method and economics; Neural in Financial reporting and derivatives; Not good in all the rest. Strategy: I use the whole week in those sections. 60% in equity, quantitative, economics, and put another 40% time to Financial reporting, derivative and ethics. Completely ignore all the rest. Method: Question only, no book, no note. Take a look of a item, and go back to notes to find answer ASAP if you feel any tiny study point in the item that you are not full understand. Result: A in equity, quantitative, economics; B in Financial Reporting, derivative , ethics; C in all the rest; Not very good, but it is a Pass. Here is my experience, hope some of you will be benefit from it once you have no time to prepare the exam. Of course, if you have enough time, start study as soon as possible. My last word, do not be extreme on anything. Enjoy your life. You can not control everything, never. Good luck.

Good god what a dork lol. Basically take cramming for a test and retitle it with a fancy name. Sure, all of us knew what the important areas to study were. I’m sure some of us who just rolled the dice with this “breakthrough” startegy would no doubt pass the test… but why would anyone take the chance when you would have to wait over a full year to retest? Personally, I studied way too little for the exam and feel very lucky to just have passed. I would never reccommend that to anyone else though. Amazing to see people gloating like this!

I’ll call BS on this.

To quote - "Let’s do a simple math, if you know nothing, you will have 25% chance to make a right answer"

Unless he took a different test than I, I’m pretty sure you have a 33.33% chance to get a correct answer, assuming you know nothing. That misstatement of fact alone leads me to believe he’s telling a fable.

its on the internet, it must be true *rolleyes* …

trying to beat the system is not what CFA is about. learning the material and being able to apply it to your career and become a better analyst will get you places, not undertaking CFA just for the three letters behind your name… how much of what you study will you be able to apply in 2 or 3 months down the road if you cram in one week?

lol why do I never run into these people in real life?

I call so much bull on this

The only ppl I know of, who are capable of walking into an exam with minimal preparation and passing it using this ‘heat seeking answering technique’, are Indians.

WTF did I just read?

qqqbee?

Hahahaha

Spunboy has been spun a yarn.

Alladin - why Indians?

OP is bullsh*t.

Hang around wallstreetoasis, and you’ll see the bullsh*t really pile on. AF folks aren’t use to mega-trolls as much, but occasionally they do come on over

This guy is a legend and like him, it is not joking as well! I am too confident on him.

I gotta go now-to not be extreme on anything.

3 Posts - 3 Double posts. Bloody amatuer hour

At uni…i had a bunch of Indian friends who started studying for an exam 2-3 days before the event. They were very methodical in sorting out the probability of a topic appearing on the exam and focused on the right topics, studied for a very small amount of time and passed well.

These were probably one of those BS braggarts who would have said they just didnt give the exam if they had failed. Believe me they must have studied their asses off if not now then some time earlier & they love throwing this crap around. I am very familiar to what you say because I belong to this place and at receiving end of this crap like Always!

Please don’t get me wrong - in no way did I take this guy seriously. I was literally speechless with this guys BS. I also noticed that he was assuming 4 choices to exam problems. I doubt he even wrote the exam.

This guy got an A in Equity, a B in FRA and some Cs. Didn’t know of the new CFAI grading sytem. Guy is legend

Some guys are worth ignoring and only worth that. PPassivation phenomenon :wink: my foot… Yes some people are good in picking and choosing and com out with flying colours in the animal time they prepare. But one week? Took me one week to watch videos off fra and get a decent gasp of it. Decent grasp for me is understand an itemset :wink:

Sorry :wink: this android spell checker kills me :frowning: was typing on my mobile minimal became animal time:-(