Don't blow this whole CFA thing out of proportion!

Seriously! No one gives a damn, and tell you what, it won’t make a drastic difference to your career. I have never met anyone who is getting a *much* bigger paycheck solely cause of the charter (there are always exceptions and outliers, but with that logic you could argue that investing in a lottery is just as worth). It is merely good for your self-esteem and a bit of recognition in the industry, that’s it! I am working as an investment analyst and I can tell you of the number of CFA charterholders I meet on a daily basis who are useless fools! I am fed up with a lot of these non-sense posts I see on this forum. Who the hell cares? If I ever see one more retarded “how many hours did you study” or some useless post like that, I will cry. I genuinely will :D!

I’ve said this once before and I’ll say it again! In 100 years when you’re dead, your grandchildren will not remember or give a damn about your charter. Hence, better concentrate on good deeds and accumulating wealth for next generations of mini yous! Rant over!

Look who is talking…

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-ii-forum/91333653

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-ii-forum/91333779

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-i-forum/91314946

Not everyone is doing it as a ticket to bigger paychecks. You might actually learn something when you complete the charter, and that should spill over your career ethics and competency, in hopes of making you a either better employee or an investor.

OP just got Rahul’ed

looks like rahul just belled the cat!

My point still stands and I really don’t need to explain myself! But here we go:

a) The post regarding level 1 has been sent when I just started preparing for Level 1 and had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA whether the CFA is a big deal or not! It turned out it isn’t! (didn’t make any difference to my career)

b) The first two posts have been prior to the exam date. I think if you dig further (since you have already done background checks) you would realise that I haven’t been active on the forum for CFA level 2 until the final week and asking non-sense question. In case you didn’t get my post (which I don’t think you have) while talking about hours of study is not at all a good gauge of actual performance, the mock results are.

c) The motivational post is merely motivational post and has absolutely no relevance to what I posted.

a bit too emotional for my taste, but ok

Chillax!!!

1)I don’t think any one here thinks that CFA is a golden ticket to high wage jobs.

2)“How many hours did you study?” or “How to beat the beast ?-OP” are just emotional explosion during/after preparing for CFAl2.

3)May be you have finally understood that CFA may not help you in your career and thus you decided to take out your anger on AF.

This is my final post regarding this matter.

Firstly, I did not mean for my post to be an expression of anger and the tone has not been set that way. It is just merely an expression of my beliefs and I was as blunt as possible, regardless of my previous posts! Secondly, I will question your judgement if you believe my post regarding my performane on mocks lies in the same category as the other post regarding the number of hours questioned AFTER THE EXAM. But that is not important, lets say that they are indeed in the same category.

I had no bad intention with my post and simply I intended to put some perspective on the matter, and frankly I think I am right regarding the points I made. Finally, CFA “would never” make a material difference to my career as I wish to become a quant and will be starting my Ph.D in Quant Finance soon, and I joined the CFA program just for personal interest. Peace!

+1

I think the reason every one engages in this useless banter - is because they are bored waiting. I want to know if I have passed or not, mainly because I want to get on with something else - I have started doing the CQF which really is a mickey mouse and yet very expensive exam that is totally disregarded by the industry - but it is something I want do. However, since I don’t know whether I will be taking level 2 again or not I can’t really focus on the CQF and feel stuck in limbo.

I’m sure for all the contortions the CFAI claim they go through - they only have one variable to adjust - and the since the results are machine graded they could bang them out in a couple of weeks - however making us wait is part of the ceremony and enhances the mystic of the process and serves to imbue the CFA with some kind of grandeur.

Another thing someone at the CFAI has done a bit of linear programming to optimize the revenue from the CFA process. Think about it:

(i) The MPS has to be set so has to preserve the credibility of the exam whilst attracting enough people to take the exam.

(ii) The reason level 1 is so much easier than level 2 is to lure you in – like the guy giving you your first bag of crack free.

(iii) The reason there are two sittings for the level one – is to maintain the flow of candidates in to level two, failing at the first hurdle you are less likely to try again if you have to wait a year because you have less invested in the process.

I did the FRM a couple of years a go there was a complete dissection of the exam prior to the results being released, using a hive mentality the corpus was able to recall virtually every question and collectively agree the correct answer – not always pleasant reading but at least it passed the time while we waited.

One final thing…. The guy who did the analyst of the 40/60/80 rule in 2012 and matched that against whether people passed or failed (very interesting work by the way)…. Based on the results he reported 80% of the people who posted a result passed. Occasionally I see smug comments from AF posters about how the pass rate amongst AF’s is higher than that of the population of exam takers as a whole – I can’t help but think that the real reason is probably selection bias. If I pass I will tell everyone, if I fail I may fail to mention it to most people.

Any way good luck and I hope you enjoyed my useless banter as much as I enjoy yours. P.S. best thread was about the guy who met a girl at the exam – that’s what I call multi tasking.

Sounds like somebody did poorly on their exam and now wants to pooh-pooh it in order to make themself feel better about their pending failure.

That being said, how many hours did you study for the exam?

Dayum. Rahul in the CFA subforums is totally different from the WC Rahul.

Nothing matters because in the end, you die.

Agreed. I am surprisingly impressed. Well done Rahul Roy.

Also agree with OP’s OP.

Also enjoyed Greenman’s post. haha

Actually did pretty well thank you very much! Of course with an exam such as CFA you can’t tell with certainty if you actually passed. But I am positive. As I already said, I did not mean to offend or give negative vibe. I genuinely feel my post is more positive than negative. I passed CFA level 1, as well as FRM level 1 and 2 on first attempts, and while I don’t know with certainty whether I will pass level 2 or not, I have a good feeling about it! What about you Green man? Are you not the guy who always tries to put people down after they recieve results (and find that they failed) and push them to give up? Are you not the guy who acts like a superior being for having passed all 3 levels, even though you have failed twice yourself? So please do not speculate on how I did! My point was, let’s take it easy! I know I am repeating myself but I didn’t have a bad intention when writing that, I just tried to say there are more important things in life to worry about. Whether I will pass or fail I don’t know, but I have a good feeling about it.

Be aware OP.

You are challenging CPA+CFA+MBA +Series 7(Greenman sir) into a fight…

Princeton what is your take on CQF? Is it worth doing the program? I will be doing mt Ph.D in quant finance in September 2015 and wish to get a strong background first! However, CQF is very expensive and I wonder if it is worth doing it.

kaveh_nobari = british greenie

I don’t think CQF will be better than FRM.Since you already have FRM you don’t need CQF.