From Band 4 to Passing

To All,

The first time I took L2, I failed band 4. Second time I took it, I crushed it.

Difference study wise between the two tests:

• Did every single Grey Box, EOC questions from CFAI books and FinQuiz Mock Exams. I made sure that I went back over the ones I got wrong, over and over again. Not to just get them right, but to understand how they are right. Questions, Questions, Questions.

When I took L2 the first time, I knew the material very well. However, I did not know how to answer the questions. All my friends thought I would foresure have passed because i knew the material way better than them. The reason I failed was because of the questions. You need to practice as much as you can.

How I studied to pass L2:

Read Schweser notes. Do All Grey Box and EOC from both CFAI & Schweser. Mark the ones you get wrong. Move onto the next chapter. Repeat this till finished. While going through and finishing section by section, I would go back and do questions that I got wrong from both Grey Box and EOC from CFAI questions. It is important to keep reviewing what learned previously or you will forget things.

I started in November, and finished the material in March. I had all of April and May to do nothing but questions and mock exams. I focused on section by section rather than taking full timed mock exams. I did take the live mock exam with Schweser and received an 80 & 82% the week before the exam. But I didn’t let up. The week remaining, I took off work and studied and reviewed everything including all the questions I got wrong to make sure that I was in good shape.

Results the second time: Passed

8 sections in >70%

PM 51-70%

Alt. Inv. <= 50%

thanks for your contribution

You made a very usuful advice!

Thanks for posting critical information.

Thanks for your advice! My question is: is it really necessary to go over the CFAI grey box examples and solutions if the Schweser materials will most likely mimic the question style? I will certainly do the CFAI EOC questions, but I’m not sure if the grey boxes are worth doing since they’re part of the reading sessions.

In my opinion, the questions/Greybox from the Schweser material are much easier than any questions/Greybox from the CFAI. If you think about it, Schweser is a study prep which is watered down. The CFAI is the body that write the questions. If you can understand how they write the questions, you will do fine. While reading, you can simply review greybox questions if time permits. I would visit greybox questions whenever you struggle with certain topics. hope that helps

Thank you, it does help. I think I’ll review CFAI grey box questions for FRA and Equity because they are the largest topics. If I find myself struggling in another topic, I’ll go to the grey box questions for addition practice. So, my study plan is: Schweser notes, CFAI EOCs, 8 to 10 mock exams, and CFAI grey box questions for FRA, Equity, and other difficult topic specific sessions.

Just got the LII printed CFAI curriculum. Blue boxes again. Much nicer.

What I did for Level I re. blue boxes, I didn’t do all, (only the EOCs) but when I reviewed something from the CFAI books (because less well covered in Schweser or I did not understand completely from Schweser) than I did the related blue box exercises.

These in Level II are however so much more extensive, that I’m afraid I won’t have enough time.

Would be good knowing which one has more value: blue boxes? or Schweser QBank? If someone has to choose due to time constraint?

Blue box questions for sure.

I second that.

Personal ranking

1. CFAI EOC

2. CFAI BlueBox

3. Schweser EOC’s/QBANK

Can anyone tel me the diiferrences between 2014 L2 curriculum and 2015 curriculum?

I strongly suggest to thoroughly go through CFA books inorder to grasp the concepts before attempting any question banks. In order to do that one needs to start preparing early as the curriculum is vast and requires atleast two readings, the first one to grasp & understand the concepts and the secon one to review and remember the concepts. Each concept in the CFA curriculum is accompanied by the blue box examples which when attempted throws more light and application of the concepts. Though in most cases the difficulty level of the blue box examples and / or EOC are relatively high, at the end of the day it gives immense confidence to face any kind of questions because each question is definitely based on a concept. To summarise,

1. Read entire CFA curriculum books including blue box and EOC questions and grasp the concepts in and out.

2. Read entire CFA curriculum books once again including blue box and EOC questions.

3. Practice question bank - Finquiz and / or Schweser.

4. Attempt as many as mocks

5. Write actual CFA L2 exams.

6. Get elated after receiving pass result with > 70% in more than 8 sections.

7. Start your level 3

8. Repeat 1 to 6.

9. Get the CFA charter.

Good post!!