L2 Band 10 - Would you ask for a retab on the below?

I know it rarely works, but at this point I’ve kinda of got nothing to lose (except $100):

< 50: Alts, PM

50 - 70: Econ, Equity, Ethics, Quant

> 70: Corp Fin, Derivs, FRA, Fixed Income

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is a multiple choice test. All they have to do is count the dots, and they doubtless have a machine that does that for them.

Do you seriously think that they’re going to come back and say, “Whoa! You’re right! We missed a couple of dots!”?

No, I am not expecting that. Just don’t think it’s out of the realm of possiblity. When you see other L2 results where people passed getting 4 topics <50%, you begin to wonder.

CFAI has a lot of backup and safety checks. all you’re buying is a piece of mind. “the realm of possibilty” is nil for all purposes. If you want to pay me $50 I’ll do a ritual good luck dance for you

and they purposely give you vague bands. <50% can be 0% to 49%, a Massive delta, there’s no reasonable way to eyeball someone’s grid and reasonably tell if they were on the high/low end of it

The only problem I see is that your Equity and Ethics are not >70%. If say, Derivatives and Fixed Income were 50-70 and Equity and Ethics were >70% I’d say it makes sense. Although I think if that were the case you probably would have passed.

To me it was worth the $100 bucks to get the peace of mind that I did legitimatley fail, plus I had erased some answers on the test so I just had to know that those were scored correctly because my eraser wasn’t that great.

Kindly permit me to lend my voice to this post.

The word “range” could be quite coy, thus leaving a whole lot to imagination. Hypothetically, Candidate A could have actually scored 51, while Candidate B scored 70, yet both would appear in the broad range of 51-70.

I stand to be corrected though, but I am tempted to believe that the CFAI results are based on absolute number of correct answers, as against the illusion that one must automatically appear on the upper class of whatever range one falls.

Simply put, Candidate A for instance would simply score 51/100, while Candidate B would crack 70/100, contrary to the misconception that both should ordinarily have scored 70/100, since afterall “they fall within the same range class”, which is an outright fallacy in reasoning!

Going further with my example above, if the MPS was set at 70%; obviously, only Candidate B would pull through not minding the sheer fact that initially, such a Candidate belonged to the same range with Candidate A.

So, once again, the word “range” is broad, coy, nebulous and leaves so much to imagination as far as the CFAI results are concerned!

Thanks….

Brainy.

Retabs are a complete waste of money @ L1 & L2. Your answer sheet is being fed through a scantron that is then looked @ by several people for smudges, erase marks, etc… Scantrons are extremely accurate.

50-70 Equity

I would save the $.

Throw your $100 bill away and get peace of mind. You got Band 10 so most likely your sheet was graded correctly.

Then move on and start on your L2 materials immediately.

u needed equity >70 , and its a pass.

Are you saying it’s more likely it would have been graded incorrectly if he’d gotten band 1 – 9?

That’s weird.

Sorry, to clarify…I was thinking of one possibility that one of the answer sheets might not have been graded for whatever reason which might have resulted in a low Band. But then, like my situation where I got band 10, that would be impossible bcoz that would mean 2 sheets were graded. Then I thought, what if we filled in a wrong digit in the candidate number and someone else’s answer sheet was used in our final result which could explain the Band 10…unfortunately someone else on this post said that the CFAI marking process is that robust that this would’ve been picked up anyway.

So we should just accept the result and move on.

What’s the deal with zero success stories on the retabs anyway? While I find it highly likely that almost all retabs result in simply a verification of your original result, I do find it hard to believe that no one on this forum has posted a successful retab letter/story…

Just odd, you’d think there would be at least a few favorable outocomes on here somewhere.

The only successful retab i’ve heard of (no way to confirm if legit though), was a guy who said he heard of a situation where another guy got scores far worse then what he thought, although he was super confident he crushed it. dude put in a retab and got a reversal.

I would imagine retab reversals are almost nil, probably not totally 0. but candidates who get them may have an agreement to not discuss it publicly

There’s a thread I read on AF which referenced some prior threads where individuals reported successful retabs so I don’t think the success rate is 0%. Though it does seem like it’s pretty close to 0%. In any event, might as well retab if you fail, What’s another hundred bucks after all the time, effort, and $ that you put into studying?

Save your money.