Band 8 Breakdown

I didnt look at my breakdown till today. Kind of crazy. Got Band 8.

I got 70 and over on FRA, Equity, Ethics and Quant. Three big sections over 70 and still failed. Economics and portfolio I got 50-70 and the rest below 70. I’m assumming I must’ve just bombed the sections I got below 50 in. I know Alternative I might’ve got 0. Didnt read one chapter in alternatives and it was the one on the exam.

After leaving the exam I remember thinking I feel like I got perfect on FRA. I finished level I in december and started studying in Feb. Focused on the main sections and did well so thats good news…should be alright this year…

That is great!

I would’ve thought for sure you’d pass given your great scores in the 2 heavy hitters, ethics, and quant.

Oh well, I failed band 7 and will start my reading again start of next month.

I feel like we deserve a month long break after getting the dreaded fail e-mail!

As a Level 2 candidate, I am hearing more and more of these scenarios where people pass the most heavily weighted topics and still fail.

I have also heard many times people on this board and other places that say to be strong in the most heavily weighted course and you should be good for the exam.

I guess the take away for me is… know as much as you possibly can on each topic. While the heavily weighted topics are obviously more impactful to your overall grade, I can’t afford to sleep on the other topics!

Actually whether you pass or no doesn’t totally depend on if you passed the big sections. It depends on how many QUESTIONS you answered correctly.

In your case, 198 out of 360 (50%) questions are in the >70% range, 54 out of 360 (15%) are in the 50-70 range, and 108 out of 360 (30%) questions are in the <70% range.

Even though you nailed all the 3 big sections, Equity, FRA and Ethics, but you still failed fair amount of questions. If you could keep your current status and boost one or two sections of Corp Fin, Derivatives, or PM to >70%, you will be guarranteed a pass next year.

You are not that far away. You did pretty well considering it’s your 1st try and the amount of time you put in.

Good luck!

+1 … Good Luck next year