Score Estimation

Despite it is difficult to know what is true or false (especially ethics part). What is your estimation related to your score?

My estimation is 64% and I hope that the MPS is really 63% (last year I estimated 62% and I was band 10).

Difficult to say… I would say between 64 and 72. I finished early both sessions and i went through the sets estimating my score, so I want to believe I will be within that range.

Even for me it would be somewhere in the range 65-70. Do we know the exact MPS for the last few attempts or is it only speculation through the bands and category allocation(<=50, 50-70, >70)? If its anywhere below or equal to 65, I believe I have a decent chance of passing.

Widely depends from year to year. It’s a curve.

MPS will be 78-80. So if u get 81 its like a 99% chance to pass.

Last year, I came across a maximum possible score of 76/120 who passed the exam. I think 63% is the usual cutoff

Can you post your marks-range split for last year? And, how do you think was the level of the paper as compared to last year notwithstanding better preparation

Hi !

Do u have his scores on each section (50, 51-70, >70)?

It would be great news for MPS being 75-76…

My opinion is that level of difficulty of this year and last year exams ware similar (I think this year the ethic was more tricky :frowning: ) .

My last year score was FSA and AI +70/ Quant. and PM - 50/ other 50-70 (I expected better score for EqI and CF and less for DER/ AI but…).

I won’t be able to dig it out but his scores were something like-Most of sections were 50-70, with less than 50% in AI and 1-2 more sections. No section in 70+. For calculating max possible score, I took care of no being integer in particular range. Score was at best 76.

I think I’m right at 65%. PM, alt Inv, quant and econ I think I got 50%. Fixed income and ethics I think I got 75%. The rest I think I averaged 4/6 so 66%. Add that up and you get to 65%. Hopefully enough to pass.

I’d say test broke down like this for me:

40 questions I am relatively 100% sure I got right. Even if I got tripped up on some tricks, give me 36/40 there.

60 questions I had an idea on what to do, just not absolutely certain. If I give myself a 60% chance on these questions, that’s 36/60.

20 questions that I was really in the weeds on, just trying my best to come up with some kind of answer. Even at 33% chance (random guess) that’s 7 right.

36+36+7 = 79/120 - 65.8%, hopefully enough to pass me. I’m hoping I got at least %83 on ethics; has always been a strong suit for me and I felt good about it on the exam, so hopefully if I’m close to the MPS that will push me over the edge.

My personal prediction is: >70 on Ethics, <50 on Deriv. and Quant., and 50-70 on all other sections. I probably failed Band 6-8.

I’m really impressed some of you guys had time to estimate how well you were tracking on the exam. I prefer to think in terms of flailing on some mocks and then hitting a double or triple on the second half for an all in likely passing score. I wasn’t scoring 65, 70% + on each 1/2 of the mocks like other people were. Anyway, I’d rather chalk up the exam as a good experience and be pleasantly surprised with the curve if I pass.

On balance I thought the exam was reasonable. I’m pleased with my 3rd party provider, and proud of my effort, pass or fail.

There is some really good and seemingly reliable work done on this by 300 hours. They used a sample size of over 2,000 and if I recall correctly, the MPS last year was 67 and 63 the two years prior. However last year had a higher overall pass rate than the two years prior which to me would imply it was an easy exam on a relative basis. I felt this years was hard. Using the 67 number, I’d love to hear more from people who tested last year to get a feel on if this year’s test was a “easy” or “hard” year for Level 2. I think that range is pretty good 80/20 estimate with more room on the downside than up from the 67. You can go their site and pay about 20 bucks for the whole report on all three levels. Craziest thing I remember was L1 over the past two years MPS was like 56! I’ve taken a few years off, but I originally failed level one in 09 with 45% > 70 and 55% of the exam between 50 and 70. I don’t remember the exact breakdown but I know Ethics was part of that 45%. A band 10 failure is an awful feeling! But on a positive note, and this is in no way an attempt to disrespect anyone that passed L1 last year, but the MPS was down and the pass rate was up. With that said, perhaps this years lot of L2 takers are net weaker which will hopefully lower the MPS.

There is some really good and seemingly reliable work done on this by 300 hours. They used a sample size of over 2,000 and if I recall correctly, the MPS last year was 67 and 63 the two years prior. However last year had a higher overall pass rate than the two years prior which to me would imply it was an easy exam on a relative basis. I felt this years was hard. Using the 67 number, I’d love to hear more from people who tested last year to get a feel on if this year’s test was a “easy” or “hard” year for Level 2. I think that range is pretty good 80/20 estimate with more room on the downside than up from the 67. You can go their site and pay about 20 bucks for the whole report on all three levels. Craziest thing I remember was L1 over the past two years MPS was like 56! I’ve taken a few years off, but I originally failed level one in 09 with 45% > 70 and 55% of the exam between 50 and 70. I don’t remember the exact breakdown but I know Ethics was part of that 45%. A band 10 failure is an awful feeling! But on a positive note, and this is in no way an attempt to disrespect anyone that passed L1 last year, but the MPS was down and the pass rate was up. With that said, perhaps this years lot of L2 takers are net weaker which will hopefully lower the MPS.

Nash, I’m a L2 retaker from last year, and think this year’s test was definitely harder, seemed to be many more multi-step calcs, context switches, and hidden traps this year. I agree that MPS should be lower this year, but I also think the pass rate will be lower too, because last year’s pass rate of 46% was a few percentage points higher that in the past (unless CFAI is trying to clear out the L2 logjam).

speaking of log jam, i was humming thru the AM and then had to take a dump about half way thru. I came back and it started to get really hard and being the simp pattern recognizer that i am i wanted to reconstipate for the afternoon