Handling the Vignettes

Level I was straight forward…a one off question with three answer choices.

I’m curious how other test takers approach the vignettes?

• Do you read the vignette first and then the questions?
  • Do you read the questions first in order to search out key items in the vignette?
  • Do you examine the exhibits first?

Basically I’m interested in learning everyone’s different strategies/process and what most would say is the best approach.

Thanks!

I advocate skimming the questions first; that way, when you read the vignette, you’re doing it with an objective: to uncover the information you’ll need for each question.

Many people says to read first the questions, but I think that is not much useful either.

What I have done until now is to fast check the length of the text, if the text is short, I read it before the questions. But when the text is long, I fastly check the exhibits and then go to the questions. If the questions are about concepts or opinions, I go back to the text and read the story. What I have learnt until now is that the info of the text is shown in order of the questions (answer data for question 1 is at the beggining of the text, and so on). However I don’t want to generalize if this is true always. Continuing, if the question is about calculations, I go back to the exhibit/s related, if exhibit provides not enough or unclear data I read the text above and below the exhibit.

I also want to know your strategy! Share it please

I did something very similar to this and it worked well. I never had a timing issue, and it didn’t create an accuracy problem.

I read the first few sentences, the introduction to the vignette, and then read the first question. Usually, that found the first answer-- but sometimes a few more sentences were needed. Then, I read the second question and picked up in the vignette around the same place that I had left off, but looking for key words. Once I locate the key words, I’d scan the surrounding text to be sure I actually found and understood the answer (or what I needed). Long story short, I never read any vignette straight through, and I probably read none completely. Many times, it was as simple as looking at the table or figure mentioned in the question. The only place I tried to be more careful was in Ethics, but I still didn’t read everything.

Do what’s convenient for you. Although many people advocate skimming through questions first, I was more comfortable reading the passage first. Even though I am not a fast reader, timing was never an issue (unless of course you are not prepared well and spending too much time on particular vignette).

If you look at the vignettes you can understand it’s more like 6 different questions clubbed together with some nonsensical wordings.

Hence once you read the 1st passage most likely you will find the 1st question.

It is not a comprehension passage hence going through the same material twice is a waste of time.

Im really glad the EOC questions have the first half concept checkers, then the second half being vignettes. Really helps you get the feeling of actual questions. Definately a challenge getting used to them so far.

I read 1 question firstly, then search it on the text, answer question. Furter I read second question, search it on the text, answer the question. And so on. This strategy I use on mocks and real exam. When I do EOC problems for example, I read all text firstly and then read questions. It helps to understand deeper the whole information and to think more about problems. I understand it needs more time, but for purposes of study it is a good approach for me.