Please help me with revision

So,

I want to revise effeciently.

My normal course of action is

-Read the curriculum

-Do schweser

-Do the q bank question

-Move to the next reading

So, on an average i spend about 2-3 days on each reading.

However, once i have finished say, 5 readings, I tend to forget what I studied in the previous readings.

I need help with a good revision strat between readings. I have tried going back to previous readings and study sessions, but i just dont know when to stop(I end up spending an awful lot of time on them). I want to revise effeciently but also spend a limited amount of time on it. And, this is something I am unable to do.

Please help me with this, or if possible, share your own revision strategy/experience.

(P.S : This isnt about the final revision, rather about revising things between study sessions/readings)

Thanks

My strategy is to home-in on the exam and that means staggering the studying process in phases.

First, I skimmed through the curriculum like a fiction book on a smartphone for 2-3 months. I made a table of 7x8=56 cells on a white board with reading session names and made exclamation marks on the sessions that I found hard or thought that material was important.

Second, which is what I am doing now, is print all end-of-session questions and solve them on a daily basis USING the formula sheet. My aim is not to memorize anything, but to understand every aspect of the curriculum and be able to apply the formulae. When I feel I understood a chapter I wipe out the cell on the white board. When there are still queries, I make short bullets in the appropriate cell on the board and MOVE ON with the rest of the curriculum.

Third, once I finish solving, I will take one month to tend the queries I left behind. My aim is to wipe the board clean.

Fourth, starting March, I have 16 mock exams/practice tests to do during March-April-May. I will do 2 per weekend, and then leave the weekdays for analysing the 2 exam results/mistakes. This is the time to start to put all the formulae together and start memorizing. WIth every practice test a pattern emerges as to where weaknesses/uncertainties are. I refer my mistakes back to the formula sheet make sure I could have answered it had I known the correct formula. Slowly it sticks to memory.

So the whole process is one of eliminating the easy/familiar topics on a continuous basis and home in on the difficult ones. Even IF on the exam day there are questions I can’t answer I know I have covered at least 95% of the curriculum pretty fucking well.

Wow, this is so organized and impressive.

I think the approach of going back and forth is imperative to clearing the exam with such a breadth and you seem to have a really good method of doing so.

I am currently going through the curriculum. I think i will use your approach of keeping track of progress according to readings. Also printing out the EOCs to organize them better, damn never thought of doing this. Its these simple things that go a long way i guess.

Thanks for this very insightful post, and im sure you will clear level 2 without much difficulty.

Good luck to you too

Hey do you think you could share those EOCs if you have them saved anywhere?

I printed them from vital source. It is a bit laborious but can be done in an hour or two. Besides, you might as well view them on your computer. You do have vitalsource right?

Put ~15 key points from reading (indicated by EOC PP) in flash cards. Hit 'em on commite, etc.

Do a couple of CFAI topic tests after finishing up a topic.

I read the chapter/section, watch the corresponding video, do the EOC questions, make flashcards from the key formulas/concepts, review what I missed on the EOC questions, go through the flashcards again and do one more set of practice questions before moving on.

I also keep my flashcards with me all the time and I will go back and review those whenever I have free time; this seems to help cement what I’ve learned in the past study sessions so I don’t have to go back and re-learn what I’ve forgotten.

This is what has been working for me…