Proctors

I don’t think the proctors at my test center were even CFAs. They seemed to not even know anything about the test. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

From what i’m reading here on the forum, seems like some think they’re all Charterholders and others believe they dont even know what the CFA exam is about. From my personal experience, i would say, out of 30 proctors, 1 is an exam experienced “proctoring” charterholder, two or three more Charterholders (can be first timers), and the remaining are either employees from the exam site or outsourced just for exam purposes, the last group are the ones handing out exam booklets, supervising Restrooms and checking calculators.

and yeah, forgot to coment on that, CFAs!!! Come on …

I highly doubt that CFA Charterholders proctor exams, although Charterholder volunteers do grade Level III AM session exam essay answers. If I were to guess, the CFA Institute probably hires a company or organization that offers exam proctor services in the regional areas where the exam is available, and those companies build the staff based on the number of candidates expected to sit for the exam at that location.

I’d bet that many of the proctors are hired via temp agencies and have no background in finance whatsoever.

Please, summon some common sense.

Dont think they have to be charterholders to be the proctors.

I didnt experience much unpleasantness this time.

The proctors were reasonably strict.

I thought this was resolved. Exam administrators are professional proctors – a few per location. The rest of the proctors are local folks hired for the day – similar to manning an election poll, where I live anyway.

The CFAI doesn’t want Charterholders proctoring because it introduces people capable of solving exam questions – a remote risk they prefer to avoid.

They are definitely not charterholders. Well, maybe SOME of them are charterholders (you’ll never know until you ask). Most of them are either professional proctors or volunteers. I spoke with one of them at my test center and he was basically there as a volunteer. However, he told me that his wife knew someone who worked at the CFAI so maybe that’s how he got the job.

Why does it matter whether they are charterholders, doesn’t affect how good they are as proctors.

It does because of the ethics portion of the curriculum educate you about the test, standard VII.

Even the lead proctor reading out instructions was saying CSA at one point. Lol.

They are not allowed to be charterholders or even have finance knowledge. They’re usually chosen from nearby universities and they come from science and liberal arts backgrounds.

talked to a few of them on exam day. apparently they get paid well for it

They don’t need the charterholder to know a few violations that need to be reported…