When to do the CFA1 EOCs

Hello:

As I am about to start studying for level 2, I am thinking about putting the CFA1 end of chapter questions until after I finished all the readings (which should be done by mid - march). Then I am thinking on working on those EOC practice problems and others until exam day. Do you think this plan will work for me?

I originally was going to do them alongside the readings, but I realized it may take too much time and rather just knock out the readings ASAP before I start doing problems, even the ones that occur as I read (like those CFA1 EOCs).

Let me know what you think please.

Thanks!

In reality it’s impossible for anyone but yourself to say what method is likely to work for you. In my experience doing the questions while working through the chapters is good as it helps to identify any key concepts that you might not have fully understood during your reading; you can then go back straight away and re-read the relevant section/s. If you leave all problem solving to the end you risk feeling overwhelmed by material that you don’t have locked down.

Your call. Either way you’re planning to do all of the readings and all of the questions anyway, so I don’t think that the time requirement should be overly different using either method.

When you write “CFA1”, do you mean “CFA Level I”, or “CFA 1nstitute”? I suspect the latter (and that it’s a typo), but it’s not clear.

CFA Institute, sorry about that haha

In that case, I’d do them (the first time) as you finish each reading.

You’ll want to come back later and do them again, to refresh your memory.

I recommend to try the EOC questions (all of them) after each reading. It will strengthen your understanding of what you have read.

Do them as you read. It cements your understanding. Do them again and again and again. They look straightforward and easy but some of them are tricky. Getting some of the answers might be for the wrong reasons. So you should try to do them now and later.

Skipping the EOCs makes your reading passive. I would never do this I’d rather skip the theoretical part.

I do End of Chapter immediately after I have finished a reading. It’s easy to understand them immediately after the Reading as it’s quite fresh in your mind. When you come back and do them later after some time again, you might have to review the reading before jumping onto the End of Chapter questions because you might have forgotten some concepts at that time. However, I will do the End of chapter questions again later (at least 2 to 3 times) before the exam.

Where would you guys find practice question, after I finish all the readings? I hear Schweser Qbank is not very useful for level 2 onwards…

My opinion, and take it with a grain of salt as I haven’t passed L2, if you cover and understand the below it should be more than enough to get through this level.

• CFAI EOC questions
  • CFAI BB examples
  • Schweser EOC questions (you mentioned Schweser above so assuming you have it)
  • CFAI online topic tests
  • CFAI practice exam
  • Schweser practice exams